PDV Tremollo

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Dino

PDV Tremollo

Post by Dino »

I'm building a PDV and was wondering if anyone knew what type of vintage tremolo RR used on his PDV?
I also noticed in pics that the earlier chrome tremolo was changed out for a black one.
Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I believe it was a standard Strat trem, as there weren't too many options back then. As for the black, I don't recall his trem being black. His knobs went from white to black because the white knobs detracted from the appearance of the white polka-dots.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Yes that's right Dino he did swap it out for a black-chrome trem , there was only a couple companies doing this color at the time , black hardware became popular a few years later .

I believe he changed it to black just to keep all the hardware the same color .. IE : pick-up surrounds , knobs , switch tip , ... the o/p jack plate and tuners remained chrome .

Companies selling black hardware , at the time was WD parts in New York and some joint in Japan called Kokasai Gakki - i think that's how it's spelled off memory ..
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Dino

Post by Dino »

Ritchie wrote:Yes that's right Dino he did swap it out for a black-chrome trem , there was only a couple companies doing this color at the time , black hardware became popular a few years later .

I believe he changed it to black just to keep all the hardware the same color .. IE : pick-up surrounds , knobs , switch tip , ... the o/p jack plate and tuners remained chrome .

Companies selling black hardware , at the time was WD parts in New York and some joint in Japan called Kokasai Gakki - i think that's how it's spelled off memory ..
Thanks Ritchie!
Would it be blasphemy to consider putting a Floyd on this guitar?
I've just never had much luck in terms of tuning stability with vintage trems.

I hate to have to route for a recessed trem, but ...
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Hello Dino nice to meet you!

You could try a Trevor Wilkinson vintage trem, they are the same as an old fender trem except for the Wilkinson logo mine works great, even with serious Jeff Beck style abuse it doesn't go out of tune plus intonation is brilliant, of course having decent tuners and a good nut is also very important.

Wilkinson also do a two point pivot vintage trem, their hardware is exceptional, i would recommend it if you go the vintage trem route.

Rob
Dino

Post by Dino »

rice_pudding wrote:Hello Dino nice to meet you!

You could try a Trevor Wilkinson vintage trem, they are the same as an old fender trem except for the Wilkinson logo mine works great, even with serious Jeff Beck style abuse it doesn't go out of tune plus intonation is brilliant, of course having decent tuners and a good nut is also very important.

Wilkinson also do a two point pivot vintage trem, their hardware is exceptional, i would recommend it if you go the vintage trem route.

Rob
Thanks Rob!
I was actually looking at the Wilkinson trems last night. :D
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Coincidence!

They are very good though, Trevor Wilkinson is arguably the God of contemporary guitar design, the number of clever design features he has come up with is astonishing. He is one of an elite group, not many designers can be held in as high regard as the likes of Leo Fender in terms of innovation.

I know many people who have put wilkinson trems on their fenders!

Rob
rreza

Post by rreza »

The saddles on Randy's black trem look alot like vintage Charvel saddles. Perhaps since Grover built Randy those 2 prototypes, Randy went to Grover for a replacement trem in black. Who knows.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Randy started out with white knobs on his guitar, but changed them to black. Maybe the chrome saddle and the black knobs clashed in his eyes.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

NicDots wrote:Randy started out with white knobs, but changed them to black.
Well Nic you know the old saying "Once you go black you never go back ?" :wink: :lol: :wink:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
NicDots wrote:Randy started out with white knobs, but changed them to black.
Well Nic you know the old saying "Once you go black you never go back ?" :wink: :lol: :wink:
SHAUN!!
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

^ hahahahaha .....
................................................................Image...............................................................................
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Oh Shaun, whatever do you mean? Can you explain it to me please? :D IN DETAIL?
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

NicDots wrote:Oh Shaun, whatever do you mean? Can you explain it to me please? :D IN DETAIL?
Don't ask him that! You will encourage him to explain!!!!!!!!!!!! Knowing Shaun as I do he will have more than one definition of knob in his answer :wink:
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.