Gretsch Electromatic

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Gretsch Electromatic

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So the guitar arrived today (after I went to work)... I got home at midnight and opened the box, it's a beautiful guitar. Unplugged it sounds great!

I had intended to play some Chuck Berry first thing, but as soon as I got it tuned up I launched into Cat Scratch Fever!! I'll have to wait until morning to plug it in, but I'm certain it'll be worth the wait.

My plan is to start from scratch and re-learn to play guitar (sort of like Dweezil Zappa did) starting with Chuck Berry stuff and working through the blues. I skipped a lot by learning metal first, I think. With my son learning to play, it's fun to start back at the beginning. Who knows, in 20 years I might be able to play like Randy :wink:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Paul

I am very pleased for you!

Beginning again is always a good idea. I do it on a daily basis with my job and would say it keeps things fresh and makes you appreciate the most basic of beautiful things about the guitar!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, I plugged in and the thing sounds great!

The neck profile is relatively thin compared to the Les Pauls and Strats I've had. It is very comfortable to play. It's also nice to have low action on an acoustic instrument. I don't hear a lot of difference from one end to the other when the tone knob is in use, but since I play unplugged 90% of the time, that's okay. I need to clean out the garage and find my effects board so I can dial in a little slapback echo and dial in some EQ settings for when I do plug in.

One of these days I also need to work on learning how to plug into my laptop so I can do some recording. I have Adobe Audition which is a great tool, I just need to figure out the settings so that I can plug in the Lightsnake cable and get sound. Then I can really show you guys how much I suck!