marshall jcm 800 original

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matthew wrote:
I know you are a young guy, it is great to want to take something from your hero (ofcourse we all love Randy)...
But...
Today at the school I teach, Janet Robin (Randy's only female pupil) gave a masterclass and she stressed a HUGE :) thing in Randy's teaching ethos...

finding your own sound. your own tone and your own style. C'mon it is great being you!! why waste it being someone else ;)

Mattxxx
you're right but its hard to let go when randy's tone was so good.

i tend to go for a more blues vintage tone these days though, have you heard gary moores latest album? that is some damn good tone. 8)

Rob
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

The Flying Dutchman wrote: Hey Rob,
EQ or not you shouldn't have that problem, I suggest to let it check by a good amp tech. How old is the amp?

My first 4 holer (1959SLPx) sounded thin it the heights as well. Brought it to a tech, he replaced some components (caps) tuned it a bit (biasing the tubes properly) and the animal came alive! 8)
in all honesty its probably me being pedantic about tone, but i think there's a chance the valves could be to blame.

Rob
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Man, I really thought Randy's tone was horrid. :shock: Especially on the BOO album! I felt that the tone on that album was so fuzzy and muddled sounding. Tribute has good (not killer) tone and so does DOAM (on most of the tracks).
You know who's got killer tone? Current day Tony Iommi. Man, his tone slays all. Different strokes for different folks though!
I have to agree with Matt on the whole "be yourself" thing. ;) Be a first rate version of yourself rather than be a second rate version of some one else. 8)
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

NicDots wrote:Man, I really thought Randy's tone was horrid. :shock: Especially on the BOO album! I felt that the tone on that album was so fuzzy and muddled sounding. Tribute has good (not killer) tone and so does DOAM (on most of the tracks).
You know who's got killer tone? Current day Tony Iommi. Man, his tone slays all. Different strokes for different folks though!
I have to agree with Matt on the whole "be yourself" thing. ;) Be a first rate version of yourself rather than be a second rate version of some one else. 8)
interesting. I absolutely love the tone on Tribute, like very much the tone on Diary but have always found the production of Blizzard very, very poor.

The Guitar tone is very sterile to my ears..

However the playing and musicianship is ofcourse outstanding!

I wonder if Randy was annoyed he couldn't on record get the same tone as he did live?

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

ps

nice to have someone agree with a Matt comment LOL

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

NicDots wrote: I have to agree with Matt on the whole "be yourself" thing. ;) Be a first rate version of yourself rather than be a second rate version of some one else. 8)
lol thats why i dont even think of copying randys tone these days. why even bother, i'll never get close :oops:

but sadly im never satisfied with my tone, so i dont think i'll ever get a signature sound. i find a sound i like and then it is replaced after a couple of months. marshall :arrow: blackface :arrow: ac15 :arrow: ac30 :arrow: tweed :arrow: blackstar

hopefully the blackstar will set me to rights as you can tune it in anywhere between fender and marshall response with its ISF control. That mix of 6V6 and EL34 tone is what i've been after the last 2 years. 8)

Rob
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

wareagle wrote:really i happen to think iommi's tone now and then is the worst.
??? Have you not heard the Live DVD Heaven & Hell Iommi's playing is probably the best i've ever heard him.He's the original HM riff maestro if it wasn't for his dark tone and classic riffs HM would of never taking off. But everyone has different taste, i don't think i could fault the guy.. :wink:
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Well I agree with the "try to be yourself" thing.
But imo there is nothing wrong to try to approach someone's tone for a while and see how they got there. I'm sure Randy did too. Nobody can't be without influences. I don't think I sound like Randy or Ed but if I didn't study their rigs I would never got the sound I have now. In the end I found out that if you have the right gear it's hard not to sound like yourself.
As far as Randy concerns I only really dig his spring/summer live '81 tone, I don't like his '82 live tone that much (too muddy imo) and the BOO tone is way too fuzzy to me. I think the DOAM tone is good but not spectacular. For Ed I really dig the tone he had from say '78 till '83, so I tried to find out why. And by doing that one can learn things and eventually will find themselves. I think it's 30% gear, 30% how you set up your gear (overlooked many times...) and say for 40% in the hands. They all are essential. So I would say just go for your favorite tones and try as much you can! 8)
(don't play with a tone you don't like only because you think that you have to sound like yourself, better a good 'copy' tone you like, than that :wink: )
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

BUHZERKER

Post by BUHZERKER »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:If you can find an old MXR dist+ for cheap you should go for that!
However the Zakk overdrive is much more transparant if that's important to you........
I just so happen to have one I dug out, I have had it for years.. should be fun to use again.. 8)
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

This is featuring in Guitarist Magazine at the end of April (they told me). It will be on their CD as well, so it may be worth looking for the mag. See what Skezza (moderator) thinks of his..........