15 Watt Amp?

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stewie
Mass Poster

15 Watt Amp?

Post by Stewie »

I was wondering how 'loud' a 15 watt tube amp was.. I'm searching for an amp for my bedroom & band practice (+ concert). Anyone knows if this is loud enough? I currently got a Line 6 Spider 15 watt, which goes pretty loud but I never brought it to the band practice cause they already have a bigger one there...

Thanks in advance :D.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I think loudness will depend on the size and quality of the speaker and configuration of the cabinet as much as wattage. also the decibel rating on the speaker is important.

I have a 5 watt valve amp pumping through a 12" speaker with a closed back cab. It makes the house shake when turned right up! and could deffineatly handle band practice IMO. To give a comparison i would say it is equaly as loud if not probably louder than my vox modeliing amp which has an 8" speaker.

most people i know say you need 30watts (valve) for a gig. I think you could do a gig with 15watts as long as you have a good speaker. but you have to consider that it would be harder to get a loud clean sound because the amp would need to be cranked more...

ultimately it would depend on your venue size/ acoustics etc.

Rob
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Thomas

I have just bought a 15 watt Laney vc15. It is an all valve 2 channel combo.

We are practising in a pub room (where we performed 2 sats ago) and on 3 it fills the room up and competes with the rest of the band.

The best sound is when it is mic'd though in my opinion. I keep the volume on about 1 and half and it is put through a 150 watt pa.

I am going to upload some youtube clips soon.

It is comfortable with blues, rock and jazz although with my Flying V with active EMG's and the boost facility on my Boss GE7 it turns into an angry little thing, perfect too for heavier rock 8)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

if u need an amp for practice and live, a 30 or 40 watt tube should be good. i dont know if 15 would get you there. matters what u like but if not a lot of distortion, get a fender, the have great tone, i dont like them with disotortion pedals though.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matthew wrote:Hi Thomas

I have just bought a 15 watt Laney vc15. It is an all valve 2 channel combo.

We are practising in a pub room (where we performed 2 sats ago) and on 3 it fills the room up and competes with the rest of the band.

The best sound is when it is mic'd though in my opinion. I keep the volume on about 1 and half and it is put through a 150 watt pa.

I am going to upload some youtube clips soon.

It is comfortable with blues, rock and jazz although with my Flying V with active EMG's and the boost facility on my Boss GE7 it turns into an angry little thing, perfect too for heavier rock 8)

Matt
nice, i want to hear more about this thing. The 15 watter is class A right? how loud does it have to go to drown out the dummer :lol: ? i never got one because i thought it would have too much distortion for my needs, and i couldn't find one to try. :(

i am totaly in love with my epi valve junior again, its like i've only just realised how many tones i can coax out of it.
AC/DC check,
Joe Bonnammasa check
BB king check,
Peter Green check,
Sabbath check
the list goes on :D

I think i will rewire my guitars so that i can really coax the best out of it.

Rob