Custom Polka Dot V

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Satch

Custom Polka Dot V

Post by Satch »

Somebody get this! I would be all over it but I just bought another Les Paul

http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55180
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

It says its the exact copy yet its got a floyd rose trem? :? lol

I would get it but no money :(

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Back when Polka-Dot V's were uncommon, they seemed so cool, but it seems that there are so many out there now... to me the specialness has worn off.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Back when Polka-Dot V's were uncommon, they seemed so cool, but it seems that there are so many out there now... to me the specialness has worn off.
If the specialness could wear off that easily maybe they were never that special
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

DO YOU THINK IF I BUY THIS GUITAR I WILL BE AS GOOD AS RANDY!??!?!!!111
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Matthew wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Back when Polka-Dot V's were uncommon, they seemed so cool, but it seems that there are so many out there now... to me the specialness has worn off.
If the specialness could wear off that easily maybe they were never that special
Ahhhh, Grasshopper, there is wisdom in the words you speak.

Nicole, if I could be at the level of Randy Rhoads simply by buying a certain guitar, I would have bought it years ago :D

These days I'd rather have a guitar that is comfortable to me and sounds good to my ear rather than have a replica of something my idol once played... I must be gettin' old.
Dino

Post by Dino »

Paul Wolfe wrote:These days I'd rather have a guitar that is comfortable to me and sounds good to my ear rather than have a replica of something my idol once played... I must be gettin' old.
+1 ... but they're still fun to own. :wink:
Rob200
Cool Member

Post by Rob200 »

Oh nice! But its kinda got a Floyd Rose on it....Lolz When I get my PDV....No Floyd will Soil it lolz
"..After a week still I didn't believe it. You know I'm really proud and honored, and..I don't want to stop hear you know.."
Randy Rhoads @ the MTV Best New Talent Award
Dino

Post by Dino »

Rob200 wrote:Oh nice! But its kinda got a Floyd Rose on it....Lolz When I get my PDV....No Floyd will Soil it lolz

I can understand wanting a replica guitar to be an "accurate" representation of the original, but with all the issues Randy had with trying to keep his Sandoval in tune, I can't help but wonder if he himself would have prefered a Floyd had it been available and had it not been made popular by Eddie Van Halen.

Randy ordered his guitar from Karl Sandoval on 7-3-79 and it was completed on 9-22-79.
Floyd Rose filed his first US patent application for his locking tremolo on January 3, 1977, but it wouldn't be issued until 3 years later on October 23, 1979.

By 1980-81, Eddie Van Halen was endorsing the Floyd Rose tremolo and IMO, made it popular. it was also around that same time that Floyd Rose was negotiating a deal with Kramer guitars.

IMO, Randy simply "missed the boat" when it came to the Floyd Rose tremolo. It had not been available to him at the time he ordered his PDV from Karl Sandoval. And by the time it was available, it was being endorsed by Eddie Van Halen.

The fact that it was being endorsed by Eddie Van Halen didn't prevent other players of that era from using a Floyd Rose, but it's my opinion that Randy was all about trying to create his own identity and probably didn't want that association.

Bottom line IMO ...
The Floyd Rose is a much better tremolo all around.
And had it been available to Randy at the time, and had there not been that association with EvH, I'm pretty sure Randy would have had one on his PDV.

Just my opinion. ;)
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Floyd Rose is like a blaster to me! A Bigbsy is like a lightsabre!! :)
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

I find it foolish to spend that kind of money on an inferior trem. Thats a lot of money to spend on a guitar that will not stay in tune. Floyd Rose all the way!!!!
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
rhoads_forever

Post by rhoads_forever »

I prefer rosewood over ebony any day of the week. I LOVE my GMW polka dot................
Dino

Post by Dino »

rhoads_forever wrote:I prefer rosewood over ebony any day of the week. I LOVE my GMW polka dot................
Welcome to the forum rhoads_forever. :D
Any particular reason you prefer roaewood over ebony?
Just curious.

BTW ... Got any pics of your GMW? :D
rhoads_forever

Post by rhoads_forever »

I feel like rosewood after the break in period, the fretboard feels like butter, kinda like soft wood. The ebony (for me) still has a hard feeling to it even after years.

Thanks, new to the forum cause of the TK problems (using the same username from there).

Dino

Post by Dino »

Nice collection!
The GMW looks great! :D