Custom Polka Dot V

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

moparman64

Post by moparman64 »

NicDots wrote:DO YOU THINK IF I BUY THIS GUITAR I WILL BE AS GOOD AS RANDY!??!?!!!111
+1
2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony w/gold hardware and emg 81/85 pickup set
2001 Squier Strat Artic White w/ Seymour Duncans
2008 Squier P Bass Red
2009 Epiphone Les Paul Jr Vintage Sunburst
MrRhoads

Post by MrRhoads »

Just to let you guys know, a Floyd Rose bridge eats all the bass for breakfust and kills sustain.
The more Fender tremolo style bridge is alot better in a tone perspective.
Good tuners and a good nut and the guitar could stay in tune.

But yes a Floyd Rose will keep the tuning indeed.
theamericanpsycho

Re: Custom Polka Dot V

Post by theamericanpsycho »

Ya know, now that its been mentioned, it really does bug me. I remember back in 1998 when I first got heavily into Randy Rhoads and early Ozzy, my mind was blown at how awesome the Sandoval Polka Dot V was. It was like the Excaliber, the Holy Grail....you only saw pictures of it but you'd never lay your hands on it. Then Jackson released their version of the PDV but it had the Jackson headstock, which they felt was more tasteful than the harpoon headstock (which I totally disagree with) and an added floyd rose, which honestly I hate floyd roses. I was so tempted back then to order one through Musician's Friend, but I didnt and glad I didnt. Many years later, and no mention of the polka dot wonder, all the sudden these guitars start popping up out of nowhere. I discussed with a guy at the guitar shop I go to that I wanted the PDV badly and he laughed and said Sandoval would make me one for $6000. I shook my head and went on to talking about something else. Now GMW makes them and now everyone in the world can have what was once considered to be a legendary guitar wielded by the greatest guitarist of all. And what upsets me most, not that now everyone can own one, you have some other companies like KMAG selling them for about $250. Thats terrible. Its nice that now everyone can own one, but now you have overseas companies in China or God knows wherever mass producing them over and over, making the specialness of the Sandoval fade away. Though its nice to be able to get your hands on a PDV no matter what your budget, it sucks in the aspect they are being mass produced and so cheaply made in some aspects. It depends on how you look at it, really....but I am not happy with my favorite guitar ever being littered all over the place and made in chinese sweat shops. Having it made custom by someone is one thing and I am all for that, but the day they start selling $200 models at Wal-Mart is the day I am gonna lose my mind completely.
Whipper
Cool Member

Re:

Post by Whipper »

MrRhoads wrote:Just to let you guys know, a Floyd Rose bridge eats all the bass for breakfust and kills sustain.
The more Fender tremolo style bridge is alot better in a tone perspective.
Good tuners and a good nut and the guitar could stay in tune.

But yes a Floyd Rose will keep the tuning indeed.
You can improve the sound and sustain of a Floyd Rose by upgrading the block with a heavier bell brass block:
http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/in ... rfq4paq6j5

This company sells other FR upgrades can help even more yet, such as a better quality metal springs and spring claw, as well as the 'trem stopper' that aside from blocking the tremelo from floating, also adds another contact point for sound transfer to the body.
Ric

sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

theamericanpsycho wrote:Ya know, now that its been mentioned, it really does bug me. I remember back in 1998 when I first got heavily into Randy Rhoads and early Ozzy, my mind was blown at how awesome the Sandoval Polka Dot V was. It was like the Excaliber, the Holy Grail....you only saw pictures of it but you'd never lay your hands on it. Then Jackson released their version of the PDV but it had the Jackson headstock, which they felt was more tasteful than the harpoon headstock (which I totally disagree with) and an added floyd rose, which honestly I hate floyd roses. I was so tempted back then to order one through Musician's Friend, but I didnt and glad I didnt. Many years later, and no mention of the polka dot wonder, all the sudden these guitars start popping up out of nowhere. I discussed with a guy at the guitar shop I go to that I wanted the PDV badly and he laughed and said Sandoval would make me one for $6000. I shook my head and went on to talking about something else. Now GMW makes them and now everyone in the world can have what was once considered to be a legendary guitar wielded by the greatest guitarist of all. And what upsets me most, not that now everyone can own one, you have some other companies like KMAG selling them for about $250. Thats terrible. Its nice that now everyone can own one, but now you have overseas companies in China or God knows wherever mass producing them over and over, making the specialness of the Sandoval fade away. Though its nice to be able to get your hands on a PDV no matter what your budget, it sucks in the aspect they are being mass produced and so cheaply made in some aspects. It depends on how you look at it, really....but I am not happy with my favorite guitar ever being littered all over the place and made in chinese sweat shops. Having it made custom by someone is one thing and I am all for that, but the day they start selling $200 models at Wal-Mart is the day I am gonna lose my mind completely.

thats life man.. kind of like i liked that band before they got famous...

if u think thats bad.... how do u think fender feels about the strat or gibson feels about the les paul?? u wana talk about a "knocked" off guitar..

but then again.. the only thing sandoval did that was unique was the harpoon headstock and bowtie inlays.. the neck being a danelectro and the body a gibson style v.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

theamericanpsycho wrote:Ya know, now that its been mentioned, it really does bug me. I remember back in 1998 when I first got heavily into Randy Rhoads and early Ozzy, my mind was blown at how awesome the Sandoval Polka Dot V was. It was like the Excaliber, the Holy Grail....you only saw pictures of it but you'd never lay your hands on it. Then Jackson released their version of the PDV but it had the Jackson headstock, which they felt was more tasteful than the harpoon headstock (which I totally disagree with) and an added floyd rose, which honestly I hate floyd roses. I was so tempted back then to order one through Musician's Friend, but I didnt and glad I didnt. Many years later, and no mention of the polka dot wonder, all the sudden these guitars start popping up out of nowhere. I discussed with a guy at the guitar shop I go to that I wanted the PDV badly and he laughed and said Sandoval would make me one for $6000. I shook my head and went on to talking about something else. Now GMW makes them and now everyone in the world can have what was once considered to be a legendary guitar wielded by the greatest guitarist of all. And what upsets me most, not that now everyone can own one, you have some other companies like KMAG selling them for about $250. Thats terrible. Its nice that now everyone can own one, but now you have overseas companies in China or God knows wherever mass producing them over and over, making the specialness of the Sandoval fade away. Though its nice to be able to get your hands on a PDV no matter what your budget, it sucks in the aspect they are being mass produced and so cheaply made in some aspects. It depends on how you look at it, really....but I am not happy with my favorite guitar ever being littered all over the place and made in chinese sweat shops. Having it made custom by someone is one thing and I am all for that, but the day they start selling $200 models at Wal-Mart is the day I am gonna lose my mind completely.

thats life man.. kind of like i liked that band before they got famous...

if u think thats bad.... how do u think fender feels about the strat or gibson feels about the les paul?? u wana talk about a "knocked" off guitar..

but then again.. the only thing sandoval did that was unique was the harpoon headstock and bowtie inlays.. the neck being a danelectro and the body a gibson style v.
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

great collection.is that a sandoval v or a copy?

that link says "topic doesn't exist" in the op.

the first floyds weren't all that great. i've had a couple & to retrofit a guitar that has a standard trem for a floyd requires more routing & new holes for the posts.maybe thats why randy didn't want one. there's a snippet about it in an interview somewhere.maybe it's in the youtube clinic vids.
i'll ask karl the next time i talk to him.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

blues_n_cues wrote:great collection.is that a sandoval v or a copy?

that link says "topic doesn't exist" in the op.

the first floyds weren't all that great. i've had a couple & to retrofit a guitar that has a standard trem for a floyd requires more routing & new holes for the posts.maybe thats why randy didn't want one. there's a snippet about it in an interview somewhere.maybe it's in the youtube clinic vids.
i'll ask karl the next time i talk to him.
No, someone on eBay makes them for 825 bucks. They are basically the same, but you need to buy a Floyd Rose. If you don't buy one, one of the members told me that he puts a Fender trem. on it and it goes out of tune. No, tey aren't Sandoval replicas :D