Harmonica

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stewie
Mass Poster

Harmonica

Post by Stewie »

Does anyone play this instrument?
I am planning to buy one.. They comme in all different keys, chromatic and diatonic..

I got an eye for a blues harp harmonica of hohner in C (which seems the best key to begin with)

If there are fellow harmonica players I would like to know, get some advice
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

yes i play the harmonica, although not regularly.

start off with a diatonic harmonica, chromatic ones and other types are used for more advanced stuff.

The harmonica you have your eye on is a good one, i thought about getting one myself. I would reccomend you get a different one though.

The hohner blues harp has wooden reads. This helps you bend notes easily. BUT some players not used to wood cut their lips or tongue etc on the wood. ALSO begginers shouldnt use wooden reads to begin with, They are delicate and begginers who dont know how to control bends and general pitching propersly often break/ damage the harmonica after a week or two.

The honer marine band harmonica along with one other brand (sorry cant rmember of hand) is considered the best all round harp.

Having said that i reccomend you start off on a cheap, no name harp. Expensive harps are easier to break, especialy if you're a begginer.

Get one in the key of C as most tuitional material - books etc. - have all their material in the key of C.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I would buy a cheaper model, but this one is the cheapest one they have :D

Should I keep searching for a non-wood model then?
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Stewie wrote:I would buy a cheaper model, but this one is the cheapest one they have :D

Should I keep searching for a non-wood model then?
no, treat yourself get the honer 8) just be carefull, you dont have to be forcefull :!:

a word of advice though playing a harp (or any other lung based instrument one presumes) is all about having a delicate touch, just like slide guitar. It more about how much you dont play rather than how much you do------at least if you want good tone :P

heres a tip when playing the harmonica you shouldn't be "blowing" through the holes. The correct way to play involves altering the air pressure with your throat. I know that sounds downright odd and confusing but trust me you'll figure it out.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Thank you rice for your usefull replies. :D
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Stewie wrote:Thank you rice for your usefull replies. :D
glad to be of use, oh and by all means feel free to call me Rob 8)