two amps at once

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

two amps at once

Post by rice_pudding »

sometimes you see guitarists performing with two different amps instead of multiple copies of the same amp.

example: i think jeff beck is using a mix of fender and marshal amps on stage these days. Slash is supposedly using two vintage moderns in conjunction with his signature heads.

Has anyone performed/played using two different amps at once? How does it work out? i would have thought it would make getting a good tone even more complicated :?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Rob

I know it isn't electric in terms of my resonse but I use my Ashtown Acoustic Radiator and then put a lead from my line out to my Epiphone Valve junior.

I get a great sound when I do this! 8)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

By the way Rob!

I watched a pupils dad play in his band this eve and he e mailed earlier and said would I like to come up and play 2 cover (C'mon everbody-Setzer version and La Bamba)

The Epi Valve Junior was on 10 and had to be mic'd (only slightly too) and the sound filled a huge school dining hall!!

I love that little fella :D

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matthew wrote: The Epi Valve Junior was on 10 and had to be mic'd (only slightly too) and the sound filled a huge school dining hall!!

I love that little fella :D

Matt
Yep i love mine too. What kind of bass response do you get on yours? (you have the combo right?)

I have the head and cab. the low end is outrageous, it really rattles your balls LOL

i like the sound best when its about one third opened up (i imagine that might be because i have the cab). Id mic that for a gig any day.

Rob
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Rob

The bass isn't a big sound...not small either but not a booming bass.

I think I will eventually get the cab. It has one of the best breaking clean sounds I have heard (clean just going into the unknown territory or grind)

There are a couple of other amps I am interested in for the society.

1.The Fender Valve super Champ
2.5 watt all valve Gretsch amp
3.The Fender Champ 600 (based on the simple Fender Champ Randy used for the Ozz audition I believe)

Matt
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

I would think the biggest headache would be mic'ing the 2 and getting the right mix out front and through the monitors. The sound guy could be looking at all kinds of issues, like phase, noise and mic placement and volume differences from the amps (especially if they are tube amps)
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

McLowery wrote:I would think the biggest headache would be mic'ing the 2 and getting the right mix out front and through the monitors. The sound guy could be looking at all kinds of issues, like phase, noise and mic placement and volume differences from the amps (especially if they are tube amps)
thats basical the probalems i would envision. Even if you got it going out to the audience ok i dont think you the player would hear the full effect on stage.