Got my half stack!

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

LOL The G-1000, classic! LOL

might it be an EVH 5150 III or a Peavey JSX? I'm thinking half-stack has to mean head + cabinet, yes?
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

McLowery wrote:LOL The G-1000, classic! LOL

might it be an EVH 5150 III or a Peavey JSX? I'm thinking half-stack has to mean head + cabinet, yes?
Mike she is playing us and loving it! WOMEN!

I hate the way we are so week LMAO
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Might as well just tell you guys since I'm incapable of getting a picture posted. :lol:
It's a Peavey 5150 (the original one, not II) and a JCM 900 1960 cabinet. :D
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

NicDots wrote:Might as well just tell you guys since I'm incapable of getting a picture posted. :lol:
It's a Peavey 5150 (the original one, not II) and a JCM 900 1960 cabinet. :D
jeez...I remember the words 'not made of money' (also I wa refering to the mg series Zakk (about £200...$400 LOL) LMAO

A sincere congratulations!! Suzie is after a 5150. I am really happy for ya!

I bet the tones are awesome.

Matt :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Well, they ain't new!
The head is beat to hell and I'm having a volume problem with it...I'll have to take it in probably and get it looked at.
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

NicDots wrote:Well, they ain't new!
The head is beat to hell and I'm having a volume problem with it...I'll have to take it in probably and get it looked at.
Aw, well that sucks. Perhaps the t00bz need replaced and then rebiased?
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Awesome!! The 5150, IMO, was Peavey's tour de force in amplification. I am sure any repair work needed will be worth the investment. I was only 2 generations off! LOL
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Well the tubes only have a few hours of use on them...
But I'll know soon enough with my Amphead friend looking at it.
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

NicDots wrote:Well the tubes only have a few hours of use on them...
Ouch man, there could be a socket cracked or something. Hopefully it's nothing major. Good thing about tube amps though, is they are fairly easy to replace, whereas ss amps are pretty much junk
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

LordThurisaz wrote:
NicDots wrote:Well the tubes only have a few hours of use on them...
Ouch man, there could be a socket cracked or something. Hopefully it's nothing major. Good thing about tube amps though, is they are fairly easy to replace, whereas ss amps are pretty much junk
Lord

I used to be the king of indiscretion....you're fast knocking me off my thrown of humding :D
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

congrats on the stack hope it serves you well!

i wouldnt worry yourself about getting it fixed too much. There must be a way to bring it back to full life. I mean people in india and africa drive 60 year old cars in conditions they weren't designed for to this very day!!! So what im saying is have faith in engineering and hammers :lol:
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I'm gonna have to replace the tubes, it looks like. I guess it IS an old amp, being an original 5150 so I can't be too surprised.
I've read up on the subject a bit and it SEEMS like it's something I can do on my own...
Is this the case? I read that I had to get some of the tubes biased, but in my case, my amp takes the 12AX7s which don't need to be biased...
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

NicDots wrote:I'm gonna have to replace the tubes, it looks like. I guess it IS an old amp, being an original 5150 so I can't be too surprised.
I've read up on the subject a bit and it SEEMS like it's something I can do on my own...
Is this the case? I read that I had to get some of the tubes biased, but in my case, my amp takes the 12AX7s which don't need to be biased...
Yes, but those only regard the preamp. The poweramp tubes, 6L6 unless you mod it for EL84 or 34, need biasing. Be careful.
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Oh crap, the Poweramp tubes need biasing too? I thought I only needed to do that for the Preamp...
And yeah, it would be 6L6s. I really didn't want to take this into an amp techs place...I really can't afford that.
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

NicDots wrote:Oh crap, the Poweramp tubes need biasing too? I thought I only needed to do that for the Preamp...
And yeah, it would be 6L6s. I really didn't want to take this into an amp techs place...I really can't afford that.
Here check this out, it is 70 bucks, but you'll never need to pay anyone to do it for you. http://www.music123.com/Groove-Tube-Tub ... 9.Music123
Groove Tube Tube Bias Tool
Place the Groove Tubes Tube Bias Tool between the output socket and the output tube to set or measure bias using the current draw method. The tool allows bias checking, setting, and adjustment in the field or anywhere with a minimum of tools. All you need is a simple meter (sold separately) and a screwdriver. Settings can be duplicated later, such as when you change tubes. This is not possible with the scope and signal generator method.
I dunno about the meter, but the meter thing seems to be included, soo. I haven't a clue, but this looks to be what you need. I'd find something similar to this if you didnt buy this exact one.
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings