I got it!! Invasion Of the Robots-Robot Guitar Review!

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

I got it!! Invasion Of the Robots-Robot Guitar Review!

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi everyone

With all the celebrations I have only just got my act together to post pictures of my new Guitar, Gibson's Limited edition Les Paul with Robotic tuning.

Here are some pictures and I shall tell you about this great axe

Gibson Robot Guitar Review

Gibson released this Guitar on the 7th of December. Mine is serial 3443 of only 4000 made. Seeing them go for quite a bit more than there original price and judging by how other limited edition Gibsons have become highly collectible I decided to buy for an investment...here's the big but...

Having played this guitar non stop for 3 days I doubt I will be able to let go of her.

Neck

The neck like all of Gibson's Les Paul is made of mahogony. While characteristically wide the depth of the neck is slimmer than what you would imagine of a Les Paul making it very comfortable to execute lower fret scales etc.

The 2 things that make this guitars neck stand out as a bit extra special are the use of ebony on the finger board and the use of 'fret wire'. Something only usually used for Les Paul Customs and supremes my fingers certainly can feel the difference on the board. Not better or worse but certainly different from a studio or standard.

Whether it's this that contributes to a very structured feel of the fret board I don't know but position changing on a piece like Eugene's Trick Bag are far more accurate because of the quality of the neck. Your hand just feels very secure.

The feel of the frets on your fingers tips just feels like you are playing not just agreat quality instrument but a friend :)

The Body

The body is chambered and Gibson's claim that acoustically the sound is enhanced is actually pretty accurate. Clean the Guitar rings like a bell but what impressed me the most was the balance of tone. I rolled the end tone and got a superb jazz tone

Check this out
http://media.putfile.com/jazz-tone

Cranked up on the treble pick up and I got a pleasant growl that I was quite knocked back by. I own 18 guitars and they all have their strengths and weekness' but I am accustomed to the darker more sombre tone of a Gibson Guitar. The Robot Guitar ceratinly had a very 'alive' feel to it.

This is the tone I got for metal

http://media.putfile.com/metal-tone-2

Sustain

Also the sustain is awesome. The amp is only on number 1 and a half on the volume but the duration of a chord once struck is of a good standard.
Obviosuly this wont appeal to everyone. For example the charm of my tele and strat is the twang doesn't go on for ever and that is it's personality.

I counted 17 seconds of resonance with these power chords.

http://media.putfile.com/metal-tone-77

The Robotics

I deliberately left this until last but but what can I say especially to skeptics...but it works magnificently!

At a gig you strum a chord and become aware you are out of tune. You talk to the audience and introduce the next number and in literally 3 seconds it is tuned to perfection.

The other tunings are very handy too. I play a love lots of different styles of music. I can be accompanying Suzie in DADGAD to a Joni Mitchell one second and then have to change to open E for the next. this just makes it so much simpler and okay I admit it looks so cool too.

I don't mean this to sound sexist butthe part of the male psyche that James Bonds gadgets and fast cars appeal too.

Thanks for reading. i didn't know if anyone knew anyone who got one and wanted to share was happiness with this great axe.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and cheers

Matt

8)
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

I am so lucky to have my wife Suzie who not only loves music as much as me but helps me get all the gear and stuff I need to do my job and also to enjoy.

I have agreed to order no take away pizzas and get busses instead of cabs to school for 6 months LOL
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Lucky so and so you are :P lol, I wish i had half the stuff you have! lol But needless to say you have done well :D

Simon :D :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

cool
Last edited by frank on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Niiiiceeee 8) I saw one when I was going to ask for my new guitar..

Only the label "Robot Guitar" made me go crazy..

Have fun with it!

A little question: how much would you estimate the total costs of your gear (guitars, amps, pedal) ? Cause you seem to have a lot of pricey things :D
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

:D Thanks Frank, Darin and Stewie

Well a total estimate is hard. If I am honest as I have always maintained with electric guitars so many times the quality you receive is very inconsistent with the price you pay.

With Nylon guitars on the whole you can hear immediately the difference bewtween one that is say £400 and one that is £2000.

Basically I pour my whole life into music. I teach 82 pupils a week, I buy loads of guitar magazines, drink in a pub where I hear load of new music and in my spare time, listen to ALL types of music. I live for buying new cds and writing new music.

I don't smoke, drive, and am probably unhealthily obsessed with guitars LOL :D

I really do think every day if there is a God..thank God for music!!
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

ps

I do have another serious vice...red wine.

Matt
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Matthew wrote:ps

Matt
*gives you some pizza* call it a HAPPY NEW YEARS present!

Simon :P
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

siro_angel wrote:
Matthew wrote:ps

Matt
*gives you some pizza* call it a HAPPY NEW YEARS present!

Simon :P
Simon!!!!!

You are the anti Christ :D
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Matthew wrote: Simon!!!!!

You are the anti Christ :D
How the condetia you work that out? :shock: :P

Simon
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Woah Matthew; I have that same exact tab book! I've even used it quite a few times, such as to learn some riffs or to use a lick for a lesson. The guitar looks cool, and from your review it also sounds and functions cool as well.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

nice review, when i heard about this guitar i worried gibson might have overlooked the basics in place of the new technology. glad to see they've gone the extra mile to create what must be one of the more versatile instruments around. 8)

also it sounds as though you've found an instrument that you've made a good connection with a match made in heaven perhaps :lol:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

rice_pudding wrote:nice review, when i heard about this guitar i worried gibson might have overlooked the basics in place of the new technology. glad to see they've gone the extra mile to create what must be one of the more versatile instruments around. 8)

also it sounds as though you've found an instrument that you've made a good connection with a match made in heaven perhaps :lol:

Thanks Mr Pudding and Lord

I think given the ground breaking-ness of the technology and Gibson wanting to create a real buzz in the Guitar playing community they have really pulled out all the stops. The idea of creating only 4000 of these is great business sense as until December 2008 when they add the technology to other instruments people (like me writing here) are free advertising for a new idea.

With out a doubt my favourite thing is the fret wire and the way you just feel so grounded when you are in any finger board position.

When playing live and hands sweat (especially under pressure...nerves etc) it is great to not slide all over the place!

I was playing Django's 'Djangology' on it earlier and had an hour of bliss 8) 8)
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

Matthew wrote:Thanks Mr Pudding and Lord
mr pudding and lord. wasn't that a television sitcom in the late '70s?
Last edited by frank on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

frank wrote:
Matthew wrote:Thanks Mr Pudding and Lord
mr pudding and lord. wasn't that a television sitcom in the late '70s?
I am wary of the Frank humour because I know you are a master of being dry LOL...this is a joke yeah?