What to choose

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stewie
Mass Poster

What to choose

Post by Stewie »

Hey guys, I'm saving up money but I got mainbly 2 things I want to buy:
A new amp
A new pedal / (s)

Since I don't have a lot of money, I wonder what you guys would get first..? I think a new amp would be the best idea, but it costs way more than a pedal..

I now only got a Line Six 15 watt Spider II amp and a Boss MT-2 pedal.

I don't know wich new amp I want, I need some professional opinions.. My budget is around 200-400€ wich is about 300-550$.

Please give me some brands of amps you like, wich are good quality compared to the budget :)

I play all kind of different music styles, but mainly rock & metal
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Well if your going to buy an amp, I'd recommend a valve amp. If you can obtain a Marshall JCM800 at the right price, take it. Head really, and then get a 4x12 cab later. Rivera amps are also brilliant. Full valve, give a great clean tone yet they give this awesome metal tone as well. You can pick up a Rivera for under £400. Peavey Bravo's are also great valve amps, especially for just working out and practicing. Full valve, built in the USA in the late 80s and sound really great. We have two and both sound in top form, everytime you play them. The only downside is they don't have a standby switch so a lot of strain is put on the valves when they are switched off.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

This Marshall JCM800 seems way out of my budget, if I'm not mistaken :)
And this Rivera seems a bit to expensive for me :?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Stewie

If you are on a budget how about a Marshall AVT 50 combo

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=995

This is equivalent to around 300 euros and has a valve channel 2 for rock/metal.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Hi Stewie,

could you give a little more info on what you want? are you looking for a combo or stack etc... and what power rating?

im presuming you want something louder than your current amp and also presumably all valve?

Peavey make a couple of more affordable options if you cant afford a marshall, the valve king head or windsor head both retail at around £300 or perhaps a little less, they get generally good reviews but the windsor in particular is known to have reliablility issues
but dont forget you would have to get a cab...

in terms of combos i remember playing a marshall triple super lead a while back, it would make a good choice IMO, its out of you budget though :cry: but the dual super leads cost less so mayve you can afford them

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-dsl401/283

but ive never played one so i dont know if they're any good...
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

You'll save yourself alot of headaches and time (not to mention money) by getting an amp first. Preferably a tube (valve) amp. It's so much easier adding pedals to an already good "core" sound than it is to try to fix a mediocre sound with outboard gear.

Just my opinion.

Dean
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

deansolo wrote:You'll save yourself alot of headaches and time (not to mention money) by getting an amp first. Preferably a tube (valve) amp. It's so much easier adding pedals to an already good "core" sound than it is to try to fix a mediocre sound with outboard gear.

Just my opinion.

Dean
+1
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I counted my money this morning and I came to 330€.. I really need to do a quality buy because I've saved this money over some years..

Argghhhhhh.. I'll just go for the best Marshall available
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

deansolo wrote: You'll save yourself alot of headaches and time (not to mention money) by getting an amp first. Preferably a tube (valve) amp. It's so much easier adding pedals to an already good "core" sound than it is to try to fix a mediocre sound with outboard gear.

Just my opinion.

Dean
your bang on the money!

what you said about pedals sounding better through a valave amp in another thread is also 100% correct. My MXR dist+ used to be a useless waste of money, it actualy made things soind worse. But the other day i though about what you said and decided to give it a go on my epi valve junior
holy cow :shock: it sounded like a completely different pedal
no joke the pedal sounds about 4 times better than it did through a tranny amp
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Stewie wrote:I counted my money this morning and I came to 330€.. I really need to do a quality buy because I've saved this money over some years..

Argghhhhhh.. I'll just go for the best Marshall available
dont just go for marshall cos they got the biggest reputation i'd recomend trying as much gear as possible. Its just after christmas so most big shops still probably have a wide range of stock available
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Damn it!! I forgot Mr Pudding like me has an Epiphone Valve Junior! Great thinking!

Here is a link to the a 5 watt head.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/froogle/37447/

Don't be fooled by '5 watts; either! I played Classical Guitar mic'd up through one to play to a pub full of people the size of a school dining hall!

It is way louder than my 30 watt champ too!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I'll try as much as I can, but the shops in my neighboorhood have only cheap and very expensive amps, like nothing in the middle :(
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Stewie wrote:I'll try as much as I can, but the shops in my neighboorhood have only cheap and very expensive amps, like nothing in the middle :(
You should search around for a shop that trades in old gear, and find yourself some new gear. I got my Peavey from a place like this, and it's basically a jcm800 with 6L6 power tubes rather than Marshall's normal tubes, and thus, Marshall sued them for a cease and decist action against the amp.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I'll just test anything below my budget limit, is there something I should definitly check out on every amp? Warranty etc..?
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Stewie wrote:I'll just test anything below my budget limit, is there something I should definitly check out on every amp? Warranty etc..?
ridiculous as it sounds id just try an amp at different volumes since i've found amps in the past that only sound good a low or high volume etc.

all amps should come with warranty, best thing is just make sure you have some kind of safety net incase you get trouble, it would be best if the place you buy it from offer to fix/replace since its local. I've had to take an amp to marshall HQ once but its quite near to my house, i cant see you coming from belgium :lol:

if you find an amp you like its probably best to ask round here in case someone knows of reliability issues it may have.