Pedals

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stewie
Mass Poster

Pedals

Post by Stewie »

Wich pedal do you use the most? Wich pedal do you think is a "must have"?

I only got one, Boss MT-2.. Got it for 80€ but it has to much distortion for me.. I would like to only get the boosted-tone effect :)
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

he guys i play with say i need a volume pedal because i don't play loud enough. i'd rather play too soft than too loud i guess.
Last edited by frank on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

The only pedal I cannot live with out is my JamMan looper.

When I play electric I am happy with the clean and distortion on my amp head and am not a massive effects person I suppose.

Interesting to find out what everyone uses 8)
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

I use hot pickups, a Rocktron Silver Dragon, a Boss SD-1 Super Distortion and the hi gain input into my amp, using some amp overdrive as well. This all mixes with small amounts of OD to make one massive distortion. As you can probably tell, I am a fan of "cascading".
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

LordThurisaz wrote:I use hot pickups, a Rocktron Silver Dragon, a Boss SD-1 Super Distortion and the hi gain input into my amp, using some amp overdrive as well. This all mixes with small amounts of OD to make one massive distortion. As you can probably tell, I am a fan of "cascading".
Hi LordThurisaz

First great to meet you and Happy Christmas :D

I just wondered what cascading is? Is it an eq type effect?

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I have no clu about the principle of 'Cascading' but I found this on google: http://www.amptone.com/slavingcascading.htm

BTW: Does anyone use one of the pedals randy uses; MXR?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Stewie wrote:I have no clu about the principle of 'Cascading' but I found this on google: http://www.amptone.com/slavingcascading.htm

BTW: Does anyone use one of the pedals randy uses; MXR?
Thanks! That sounds inetresting 8)
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

frank wrote:the guys i play with say i need a volume pedal because i don't play loud enough. i'd rather play too soft than too loud i guess.
Thats what im like Frank lol :)

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Matthew wrote:
LordThurisaz wrote:I use hot pickups, a Rocktron Silver Dragon, a Boss SD-1 Super Distortion and the hi gain input into my amp, using some amp overdrive as well. This all mixes with small amounts of OD to make one massive distortion. As you can probably tell, I am a fan of "cascading".
Hi LordThurisaz

First great to meet you and Happy Christmas :D

I just wondered what cascading is? Is it an eq type effect?

Matt
Cascading in the sense that I use it in, is basically like adding one to one to one to one, etc, until you are at ten, rather than just going straight to ten to begin with. If you use one pedal with abunch of distortion infront of a clean amp, it's sounds shitter more times than not, than if you were to set the distortion pedal to 3 (out of 10) and then put the amp's preamp dist at like, 7 or so for mine being a JCM800esque amp.

Basically, my distortions are set like this
Pickup vol. 10 - > SD-1 vol. 10, dist 0-2 at most (rarely ever at 2). -> Silver Dragon Awaken channel dist. 3-5 (sounds similar to a tube amp on ten with this amount of dist, the pickup, SD-1, and some amp OD) Slayer Channel dist. 1-3.5; vol. match in accordance to the gtr -> amp volume. -> Peavey Rockmaster ... Pre on 5-7, pump at 3-8 depending on the amount of distortion I want.

So like I stated before, I get a hot pickup, an OD, and a hot amp, and use an additional distortion pedal to further shape the distortion. This method would also seem easier to get a studio tone with some mic placement and experimentation.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Thanks for explaining, I'm now a little bit smarter :)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i think an MXR 10-band EQ is as close to a 'must have' as you'll get you can carve out some fantastic sounds with it plus on the new ones control volume and distortion. i suck out all the distortion and give the volume a small boost

stick a volume pedal in front and its brilliant for use on a tube amp or even on my modeling amp. :D

this alone can get you a boosted tone similar to randy although the distortion gets its character from the amp instead of the pedal.

i have an MXR distortion +, its pretty good, sounds rubbish through anything other than a valve amp though
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

oh yeah also i have a mxr chorus

its a bit rubbish though if im being honest
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I think this MXR 10-band EQ will be my next new pedal.. 8)

This one is the newest one éh; http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=151115 ?
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Stewie wrote:I think this MXR 10-band EQ will be my next new pedal.. 8)

This one is the newest one éh; http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=151115 ?
yeah thats the new one, theres also a kerry king model but i dont know what the difference is???
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

rice_pudding wrote: yeah thats the new one, theres also a kerry king model but i dont know what the difference is???
The Kerry King model has two outputs.. :)