Signature Guitars

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:I f Jake didn't come up with that configuration, with the
slanted singlecoils, please tell me who did ;)

Charvel

and yes you can buy all the "signature" models now, I was referring to a time when "signature" meant something... they are commonplace now which makes them very much les than special in my opinion.

I agree with Brian May's guitar... add it to the list.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RockyRhoads wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:I f Jake didn't come up with that configuration, with the
slanted singlecoils, please tell me who did ;)

Charvel
FYI, the slanted singles was Jakes idea originally.
He had a friend at Charvel execute them.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

You sure are adamant about getting me to say Jake's guitar was a "signature" guitar...

I feel that Jake's guitar is simply a super strat, not uncommon, not special... that's my opinion. If you want to think it's special, feel free.

Again, my definition of 'signature' is that for one reason or another that guitar is identified solely with a specific player. In my opinion, most people think of Jake's guitar as being a black and white strat, regardless of the pickup configuration. Randy's polka-dot V is his trademark or "signature" Schenker's Harlequin V is his trademark or "signature"...Zakk's bullseye, while done before him by other's is now his trademark or "signature" - which, by the way, he developed because he didn't want to be a clone of Randy by playing a white Les Paul with Ozzy (and out of a little respect)...

When I think of Schenker, I think of that V, when I think of EVH, I think of stripes, When I think of Bo Diddley, I think of that rectangle, When I think of Ted Nugent I think of the Gibson Birdland... when I think of Jake, I think strat, not pickup configuration...

Anyway, I think this thread got a little off topic. It's nice that you like Jake so much, I just don't think of him as special in any way, hence I don't include him in my list of true signature guitars...
Claudio

Post by Claudio »

Joe Satriani's "Chrome Boy(s)" guitar. That's definatly his signature, and theres a few out there for sale.
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/myg0tqwerty/Signature.gif[/img]
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I think Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest has quite a unique guitar that could be thought of as "signature". The Hamer which he used on the videos for A Touch Of Evil and Painkiller (maybe more) is to me is definately one of a kind. I've never seen anyone use one other than him, infact i've never even seen one other than his. Uli Jon Roth has the most custom guitar i've ever seen.
Last edited by Ell on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

SixPounder wrote:All Dimebag's Deans
Zakks Bullseye Gibson Les Paul
Those guitars are practically off the shelf though.
Except maybe Dimebags Deans on which he put Floyd Roses on :!:
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

They aren't like a whole new idea though. In the end they are all guitars. They are just the players favourate colour, shape, electronic configuration and so on. I want a certain guitar at the moment which I would have to get built in a custom shop but if I got it but it wouldn't neccessarily be my signature guitar. It would just be a guitar I would play often and that no-one else would own. I guess if I were more well known then it might be associated with me, as in my signature guitar, but to me it would just be the guitar of my choice. I know that Randy's polka dot v is a kind of signature instrument but to him it was probably just a custom made guitar. I don't know if that made sense, I hope it did :lol: .
Mr Charming

Post by Mr Charming »

SixPounder wrote:Randy's Polkadot V of course
All Dimebag's Deans
Zakks Bullseye Gibson Les Paul
I am with you 100%
Rosetti

Post by Rosetti »

Eric Claptons guitar blackie, that was a strat which he customised with his fave pickups
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

i havnt read this thread for ages, anyone mentioned Glen Tiptons hamer?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

skezza wrote:anyone mentioned Glen Tiptons hamer?
No I don't think anyone did.
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

Ell wrote:I think Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest has quite a unique guitar that could be thought of as "signature". The Hamer which he used on the videos for A Touch Of Evil and Painkiller (maybe more) is to me is definately one of a kind. I've never seen anyone use one other than him, infact i've never even seen one other than his. Uli Jon Roth has the most custom guitar i've ever seen.
Just look up a couple of posts.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

is it the signature v ;) thats the question :D
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

http://images.metalirium.com/news/2006/ ... tipton.jpg

Nope, I meant that one. I prefur the black one with white lines though. Isn't the V KK Downing's? They might both have one, I'll check sometime. I seem to remember KK Downing always using various V's but Glenn generally using the Hamers, Gibsons and Fenders mostly.