have you ever made a guitar?

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

have you ever made a guitar?

Post by rice_pudding »

this just occured to me the other day, has anyone on this site ever bought the parts off a website and put a guitar together?

im curious, quite a lot of people seem to have a crack at it but i've always wondered what the results are like. presumably the average guitar player doesnt have a massive amount of know how and skill where building instruments is concerned,

so what are the finnished products like in comparison to production guitars?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

i made one :D

but I took the pickups out, sold them and bought an EMG for my Dean :)

had it for more than a year, but since I got the Dean I
rarely played anything else :shock: but it was a fun and
hard but educational process.

took alot of reading up though.
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

Sites like www.warmoth.com make it all pretty easy. I bought a neck from those dudes a while back and have been meaning to buy a body. I want to build a hardtail PRS-esque kind of guitar with a nice maple carved top. Two tones, two volumes, two humbuckers. All of their stuff is pretty high quality. The neck I have is really nice and they did a great job with it. If you order a neck and body from them, it all pretty much bolts together with the right hardware available through them or from www.stewmac.com.

I've yet to get the body, but whenever I get around to it I'll post some pictures and stuff of the building process. The hardest part is probably going to be wiring. All of the finesse stuff (drilling the pegheads, routing the chambers and pickups, cutting the neck joint) is already taken care of. They can even paint/stain the stuff for you ahead of time if you'd like.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Stiltzkin wrote:i made one :D

looks very slick 8)
what does it play like?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

rice_pudding wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:i made one :D

looks very slick 8)
what does it play like?
right now, it doesn't play at all since
I removed the pickups and sold them 8)

but it was actually quite nice, but my Dean is nicer :twisted:
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

I made a guitar, an accoustic, called the SDF Moonlight, it had the shape of Randy's concorde, and a reversed SG put together, thus creating a comfortable guitar to play vertical and horizontal, but alas i cant play it anymore, the action is now so high on it im suprised it aint broke, its actually 2 Inches off the fretboard.

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

i've been planning on doing an acoustic,

or atleast repair one my sister bought at a fleamarket some years ago :)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

siro_angel wrote:I made a guitar, an accoustic, called the SDF Moonlight, it had the shape of Randy's concorde, and a reversed SG put together, thus creating a comfortable guitar to play vertical and horizontal, but alas i cant play it anymore, the action is now so high on it im suprised it aint broke, its actually 2 Inches off the fretboard.

Simon
i think i remember seeing that guitar on an old thread over on .tk
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

rice_pudding wrote:
siro_angel wrote:I made a guitar, an accoustic, called the SDF Moonlight, it had the shape of Randy's concorde, and a reversed SG put together, thus creating a comfortable guitar to play vertical and horizontal, but alas i cant play it anymore, the action is now so high on it im suprised it aint broke, its actually 2 Inches off the fretboard.

Simon
i think i remember seeing that guitar on an old thread over on .tk
Yeah it was nicknamed the "Cardboard Guitar" because nobody believed i actually made it, but if ya want pictures ill be happy to send em!

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."