Strings

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RhoadsFan

Strings

Post by RhoadsFan »

Hi im just wondering what types of strings I should get because my high E string keeps breaking on me from like crazy bends and stuff. I think a strong set but I need a specific name so when I go to the store I know what I want specifically. any recomendations?
“If you guys are going to be throwing beer bottles at us, at least make sure they're full.â€Â
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

What gauge of strings are you using? I've been using 9's for quite some time, and have yet to have an issue with doing extreme bends. The only times I break strings are when they're getting old and corroded. I play Ernie Ball Super Slinky, by the way.

You could try some thicker strings like 10's, but you'll need to fix the intonation. What kind of guitar, by the way?
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

You should be able to do 'crazy bends' on any quality string that's been properly installed and stretched.

Use a magnifying glass and check the nut and bridge saddles for burrs. Burrs will case the string to bind up and break.

Dean
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i've been using GHS boomers for a while now, specificaly 11-50's

they're quite high tension IMO and dont bend easily like other brands i've tried but they dont break much either.

in fact i've only ever broke one string in 2 years of using the brand and i think thats only because my nut is messed up.
ken01fan
Cool Member

Post by ken01fan »

DR's all the way
Randy Rhoads: Simply the best!!
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Re: Strings

Post by siro_angel »

RhoadsFan wrote:Hi im just wondering what types of strings I should get because my high E string keeps breaking on me from like crazy bends and stuff. I think a strong set but I need a specific name so when I go to the store I know what I want specifically. any recomendations?
It could be something up with your truss rod if the string keeps snapping. Try a new E string if that dont work, then get the truss rod checked.

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
RhoadsFan

Post by RhoadsFan »

NoQuattro wrote:What gauge of strings are you using? I've been using 9's for quite some time, and have yet to have an issue with doing extreme bends. The only times I break strings are when they're getting old and corroded. I play Ernie Ball Super Slinky, by the way.

You could try some thicker strings like 10's, but you'll need to fix the intonation. What kind of guitar, by the way?
I use an RR5. The strings I was using were nickel wound titaniam core or something. they dont really break all the time but its been like 5 month periods in between breaks and its only broken twice. all the other strings are fine. both times they broke when I was playing The Trooper solo lol.
“If you guys are going to be throwing beer bottles at us, at least make sure they're full.â€Â
RhoadsFan

Post by RhoadsFan »

all the time and I dont replace the strings :?

hmmm based on that realization, maybe I should replace all the strings...
RhoadsFan

Post by RhoadsFan »

yea believe me, if changing strings for me wasnt a big hassle (dealing with innotation and getting the damn end around the tune key properly) I would change mine every 2-3 weeks too. plus, I do like the way they feel because they feel broken in and its easy to bend and manipulate the strings. however, I agree that the sound is a little shot after about a month of useage or so (of playing whenever you can)
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

Right on, Frank. Intonation only needs to change if you start using a different gauge of strings. You can probably get away with going up a set without having to change it, but if you've got a sensitive ear then you'll need to adjust the saddles accordingly.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
alex1251

Post by alex1251 »

GHS boomers 10's
have any of you ever tried what EVH does where he boils the strings in hot water for like 30 minutes or something then leaves them out to dry and then uses em. Ive always wanted to try that but I am afraid of them rusting and having to change strings again, he said he doesnt know if they rust or not cause he changes em every night anyways or some shit like that.
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end
ken01fan
Cool Member

Post by ken01fan »

Regarding strings for acoustics; what's the recommendations there? Any difference in playability?
Elixir for acoustic, but not so great for electric. :wink:

Randy Rhoads: Simply the best!!
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Here are tips, and I am not accusing you of anything, but heres just some good ideas to keep your strings lasting a long time and staying bright. Just to clarify, I like D'addario's because they stay bright a long time (2-3 months as opposed to a month with other strings). Also, they have great harmonics when brand new, and for that, I change them one guitar at a time so I can play the hell out of it those first few days, and get lots of crazy tones.

Back to the subject:
1- Wipe your strings down with a cloth of some sort, like a nice thick wash rag. New preferably, and don't forget to wash it and have a back up too.

2- Wash your hands before playing, this seems to dry my hands of sweat, and stops me from sweating for about an hour or so. You can also try baby powder on the hands, rub in, and wipe off so you don't have powder caked between the frets. :?

Last efforts
3- You can take some alcohol on a q-tip, and rub all that gunk off, especially underneath the strings. However, you will definitely want to put some plastic over the fretboard.

4- You could also try using the furniture polish to polish your guitar and neck and whatnot to polish the strings. However, I suggest you DEFINITELY clean off all of the polish or else your unwound strings (I only have two) will look gross.

5- You could try the boiling technique, but shortly after, they are pretty much crapped out.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Here are tips, and I am not accusing you of anything, but heres just some good ideas to keep your strings lasting a long time and staying bright. Just to clarify, I like D'addario's because they stay bright a long time (2-3 months as opposed to a month with other strings). Also, they have great harmonics when brand new, and for that, I change them one guitar at a time so I can play the hell out of it those first few days, and get lots of crazy tones.

Back to the subject:
1- Wipe your strings down with a cloth of some sort, like a nice thick wash rag. New preferably, and don't forget to wash it and have a back up too.

2- Wash your hands before playing, this seems to dry my hands of sweat, and stops me from sweating for about an hour or so. You can also try baby powder on the hands, rub in, and wipe off so you don't have powder caked between the frets. :?

Last efforts
3- You can take some alcohol on a q-tip, and rub all that gunk off, especially underneath the strings. However, you will definitely want to put some plastic over the fretboard.

4- You could also try using the furniture polish to polish your guitar and neck and whatnot to polish the strings. However, I suggest you DEFINITELY clean off all of the polish or else your unwound strings (I only have two) will look gross.

5- You could try the boiling technique, but shortly after, they are pretty much crapped out.
Excellent advice :)

I've found #'s 1 and 2 to be key for long string life (baby powder! yeah!). I been doing a variation of #3 for many years to keep gunk off the strings and fretboard. I use cheap alcohol based aftershave lotion to dampen a soft cloth and rub the strings after playing.... the alcohol / de-ionized water mix cleans off the crap while the emollients in the aftershave keep the strings from corroding. Smells good too. Try it...you'll be surprised. Also #5 (boiling strings) works somewhat on bass strings but isn't cost effective IMO for guitar strings.

Great tips LordThurisaz! :D
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I've never replaced my strings within 2 - 3 weeks.. I play elektric guitar every day, I kept my first set of strings on for 1 year lol..

I use Ernie's on my electric and D'Addario's on my acoustic..
I got a floyd rose tremolo, anyone else 8) ?