amp volume

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

the hell man :? :shock:

your getting technical now, i studied electronics for two years and learnt nothing i wouldnt do anything beyond simply changing the valves.

i am getting very tempted though, i've heard some demos of the amp and it sounds roughly like the sort or amp that i could get my kind of tone out of. i'm not sure what to get though the 5watt junior, 5watt head or 15watt also ive seen harley benton amps apparently they're good and are a bit cheaper.

i could sell my marshall for £100 and use that to buy a valve junior.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

oh by the way thanks for the advice i really appreciate it :D
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

You're welcome. :)
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Dean

Any news on the Jake E Lee pedals?

Cheers

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

sorry guys but i have some more questions :wink:

ive been looking at the epi Valve amps and noticed that the cab designed for the 5 watt head is rated at 70 watts. Obviously this doesnt mean you get 70 watts of power but i was always under the impression that you would need 50 watts to drive a 50watt cab etc. ??????

i was wondering if i connected the head to a 2x10 cab would you get 10 watts instead of 5?
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Matthew wrote:Hi Dean

Any news on the Jake E Lee pedals?

Cheers

Matt
Yeah i just posted an approx. retail price on jakeelee.com . I'll post the same thing here tomorrow. :)

Dean
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

www.cats-eyeesp.com
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

rice_pudding wrote:sorry guys but i have some more questions :wink:

ive been looking at the epi Valve amps and noticed that the cab designed for the 5 watt head is rated at 70 watts. Obviously this doesnt mean you get 70 watts of power but i was always under the impression that you would need 50 watts to drive a 50watt cab etc. ??????

i was wondering if i connected the head to a 2x10 cab would you get 10 watts instead of 5?
No. It would still be 5 watts of power. I'm no expert on speakers, but I believe the cabs rating in watts is intended to give you an idea of the maximum power the cab can handle before the speakers get damaged.

I have an old 7 watt practice amp with a 30 watt speaker in it that sounds great at high volume. The amp starts breaking up before the speaker does (no speaker distortion). The Epi probably sounds great with that cab as the power tubes can really get cooking. You'd really be able to hear the power tubes distorting before you'd ever hear the speaker distort. great for blues soloing!.

Dean

www.cats-eyeesp.com
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

deansolo wrote:
rice_pudding wrote:sorry guys but i have some more questions :wink:

No. It would still be 5 watts of power. I'm no expert on speakers, but I believe the cabs rating in watts is intended to give you an idea of the maximum power the cab can handle before the speakers get damaged.

I have an old 7 watt practice amp with a 30 watt speaker in it that sounds great at high volume. The amp starts breaking up before the speaker does (no speaker distortion). The Epi probably sounds great with that cab as the power tubes can really get cooking. You'd really be able to hear the power tubes distorting before you'd ever hear the speaker distort. great for blues soloing!.

Dean
thanks for the info thats cleared up a lot of my confusion 8)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

just thought id update this thread,

i got an epi valve junior head and cab the other day after selling my marshal. overal im happy so far 8)

the speaker seems to be breaking in a bit now so it just sounds even better, but ill have to give it a go with my effects some time. the big difference though it sounds good at high volume :D

deffineatly better than a marshal MG

but seriously how is it so loud, for 5 watts its crazy :shock: i keep it at 1/8th of full power for practicing in my room
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Congratulations you deserve it!!

Any pictures or sound clips mr Pudding?

I can imagine how loud because I used my 5 watt valve junior at a pub gig recently and it cut it just fine!
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matthew wrote:Congratulations you deserve it!!

Any pictures or sound clips mr Pudding?

I can imagine how loud because I used my 5 watt valve junior at a pub gig recently and it cut it just fine!
its loud enough to send vibrations through the house and scare the local wildlife, :lol: i can imagine it doing well at a pub.

im afraid i have no sound clips, i dont have any recording equipment :(
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

ha ha!!

Glad the amp is scaring the squirrels LOL

Matt
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

deansolo wrote:also, on most valve amps it's possible to remove 2 of the power tubes to cut the power in half, so if you have a 30 watt amp..take out the 2 tubes on the ends or the 2 in the middle and Voila`....15 watt amp! I do it with mine all the time when I practice at home. Sounds much better than putting on an attenuator like the Hot Plate IMO.
I do this with my 120w Peavey Rockmaster (which caused peavey a lawsuit for infringing on Marshall's JCM800 design). I always have the two on the outside taken out. Reading your post though, it got me a-pondering. I was wondering if taking out the the two middle tubes had any tonal differences opposed to the way I currently do it? I doubt it, but it never hurts to experiment with things to get the perfect tone.
alex1251

Post by alex1251 »

my friend had a 5 watt Valve Jr for a couple of months at my house and we would jam, then one day it wouldnt turn on, well the light on the switch would but you wouldnt hear the speaker buzz when it turns on so everytime you strummed no sound would come out of the damn amp, so I dont know if it was the speaker that broke or if it needs new tubes. So then I told him to pick it up cause it was taking up space and he told me to throw it away, so I told him I did but kept it :lol: and let my cousin take it home to see what he could do about it cause he said he had a speaker lying around, he is suposed be giving it back now. So I really dont know what to expect out of this little amp which just gave out. Well we would jam with my other friend playing on my drums and he would have the Valve Jr all the way up and I'd have my 30 watt Ibanez amp at 1/2-3/4 of the master volume and you could barely hear the Valve over Drums and my amp.
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

If your power section is solid state you are not going to push the amp into a "sweet spot" by cranking it to 10. Only tube power amps do this. There are a few solid state amps that claim to simulate power amp saturation but they fall very short of the mark. I would say since your amp is a modeling amp that it was made to be played at "practice" volume. You can probably run direct to a mixer from it, I would imagine, thus eliminating the need to even mic it in a live situation.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!