amp volume

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

amp volume

Post by rice_pudding »

when i have my amp (its a master volume) at low volume it sounds great but when i turn it up it doesnt sound as good...

is this the result of some sonic wizardry beyond my comprehension or is the problem simply that my ears are not used to the volume so it sounds odd?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

What kind of amp do you have ie Is it a tube or solid state?

When I crank up my JSX head (this is a valve amp) or my 5 watt Epi Valve Junior they both still sound warm.

My Fender Champion is a solid state and sounds superb at low levels but spikey and brittle at a loud volume.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

its a vox ad modeling amp. strictly speaking not a valve amp although it does have a valve in the pre-amp. it seems to lose clarity at higher volumes and he distortion is less "smooth" (for lack of a better word)

i also have a marshal solid state but that sounds crap no matter what volume its at.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

rice_pudding wrote:its a vox ad modeling amp. strictly speaking not a valve amp although it does have a valve in the pre-amp. it seems to lose clarity at higher volumes and he distortion is less "smooth" (for lack of a better word)

i also have a marshal solid state but that sounds crap no matter what volume its at.
To me it seems lots of those modeling amps are designed for bedroom volume with no consideration how they will sound at real volume. And lots of time that bedroom volume is the only volume to test them in a music store. :wink: It's all about the $$$ nowadays and nothing else......
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:To me it seems lots of those modeling amps are designed for bedroom volume with no consideration how they will sound at real volume. And lots of time that bedroom volume is the only volume to test them in a music store. :wink: It's all about the $$$ nowadays and nothing else......
i think your probably right, i've heard an audio engineer mention in the past that modeling amps are good for recording but crap in a live situation. i still think my ears have something to do with it mind.

the only way to find out for sure would be to do some serious gear testing at max volume :twisted: might anoy my neighbours though

ultimately my vox would never be a perfect giging amp, i only ever bought it as a practice amp anyway. this kinda sounds like an excuse to get another amp to me :D
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

cableguyxx wrote:Have you tried something like this ?: http://www.zzounds.com/item--GUYST2

I think the higher you turn up a solid state amp, the more it spreads out the signal, losing that signal compression and tone you have at a lower volume. I could be completely off track on that, but I seem to remember something to that affect from my electronics class a few years back.
your bang on the money in my opinion. interesting idea about using a compressor i would never have though of that.

in any case i think ill sell the marshal in the near future. its just really not a very good amp, in a band situation it just has no bottom end and sounds thin and electronic

i think this would make an ideal gigging amp
:arrow: http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=l20t-410
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Do yourself a favor and just switch to an all tube amp. Once you go tube you will kick yourself for wasting so much time, money and energy on inferior sounding solid state, modeling and hybrid amps. even your pedals will thank you. :)

Just my opinion.
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Last edited by cableguyxx on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Last edited by cableguyxx on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

deansolo wrote:Do yourself a favor and just switch to an all tube amp. Once you go tube you will kick yourself for wasting so much time, money and energy on inferior sounding solid state, modeling and hybrid amps. even your pedals will thank you. :)

Just my opinion.
believe me id like to, the solid state marshal was my first ok quality amp, before that i had (and still own ) an amp which feedbacks more than hendrix no matter how kind you treat it. The vox was bought primarily cos i needed a more easily transportable practice amp, coincidentaly it owned the marshal big time.

id love a valve amp like the laney i linked in my previous post, but they're expensive... and the kids need new shoes :lol:

having said that i may soon sell the marshal and get an epiphone valve junior :twisted:
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

rice_pudding wrote:
deansolo wrote:Do yourself a favor and just switch to an all tube amp. Once you go tube you will kick yourself for wasting so much time, money and energy on inferior sounding solid state, modeling and hybrid amps. even your pedals will thank you. :)

Just my opinion.
believe me id like to, the solid state marshal was my first ok quality amp, before that i had (and still own ) an amp which feedbacks more than hendrix no matter how kind you treat it. The vox was bought primarily cos i needed a more easily transportable practice amp, coincidentaly it owned the marshal big time.

id love a valve amp like the laney i linked in my previous post, but they're expensive... and the kids need new shoes :lol:

having said that i may soon sell the marshal and get an epiphone valve junior :twisted:
The Epiphone Valve Juniors sound pretty good right out of the box. They're even better once the speaker gets broken-in. Definitely a good choice for a 1st Valve amp that won't break your bank account. Also the bigger one can even do a small club gig! :)
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

www.cats-eyeesp.com
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

deansolo wrote: The Epiphone Valve Juniors sound pretty good right out of the box. They're even better once the speaker gets broken-in. Definitely a good choice for a 1st Valve amp that won't break your bank account. Also the bigger one can even do a small club gig! :)
what size amp would you recomend for small gigs/clubs?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

He's right Pudding Chops :D the mystery of valve is my 5 watt valve junior is as loud/if not louder than my Fender 30 watt champ. Don't be atall put off by low wattage on valve amps.

Also combine it with a Boss MD2 pedal and you have heaven!
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

rice_pudding wrote:
deansolo wrote: The Epiphone Valve Juniors sound pretty good right out of the box. They're even better once the speaker gets broken-in. Definitely a good choice for a 1st Valve amp that won't break your bank account. Also the bigger one can even do a small club gig! :)
what size amp would you recomend for small gigs/clubs?
I think the Valve Standard is about 15 Watts. Just enough power for a small club...and if you need more volume you can always put a mic in front of it.

I think 30 watts is a good sized amp for small gigs.

also, on most valve amps it's possible to remove 2 of the power tubes to cut the power in half, so if you have a 30 watt amp..take out the 2 tubes on the ends or the 2 in the middle and Voila`....15 watt amp! I do it with mine all the time when I practice at home. Sounds much better than putting on an attenuator like the Hot Plate IMO.

Note that you also have to change the impedence selector from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, or from 16 ohms to 8, etc. but you get the point. Tube amps are the way to go. :)

www.cats-eyeesp.com