Richwood Les Paul Custom

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stewie
Mass Poster

Richwood Les Paul Custom

Post by Stewie »

What do you guys think of these guitars compared to the Gibson Les Pauls?
I'm about to buy a 2nd electric guitar and this one seems pretty fine.
I coulnd't find much comments about it, and I don't know much about guitar specs, so please comment it yourself and say what you like/dislike about these cheaper versions of the Gibson's.

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/e-gitarre-Richw ... dZViewItem

To buy or not to buy?

BTW; Did Randy's Les Paul have the same specs as this one?
Last edited by Stewie on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

it looks very tempting but i wouldn't buy it.

firstly its being bought via the internet, even worse from ebay. Even if its a well designed instrument you could get one with crap tonewoods, you wont know till you play it. I've seen zakk wylde epis on ebay for £250, these guitars are almost certainly "seconds" or b-stock.

secondly look at its specs. nato neck and nato body. nato is a cheap form of mahogany with similar tonal characteristics. Its like how basswood is used as a substitute for alder. These cheaper woods are not bad by any means. But in the case of basswood it has none of the highs and lows of alder, just a pronounced mid-range. Nato is ok as a neck wood and ok for back and sides on a solid top acoustic but using it as a body wood is dodgy IMO. This guitar would not have the same sustain as a gibson thats for sure. Next; the maple top. I doubt this is especialy good, they claim the flame maple looks as good as a gibsons but then show you pictures of a guitar with a plain black finnish hmmm :roll: . And it hasnt even got proper rosewood, i would at least expect that...

they say this sounds as good as a gibson or epi, they are bullshitting :evil: . it might actualy sound good for all i know but given that its not made out of the same tonewoods how would it sound the same as a gibson. :?:

despite all that these guitars could be amazing but if it was me id avoid it like the plague

in terms of recommending you a guitar it would all depend on your budget. Have you considered something from the vintage advanced series, they've all got great reviews and go for less than £300 from what i've seen, also they do a les paul model (since i assume thats what your after.) here are some examples http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/vintage-m-37.html

other than that go with an epiphone, they're solid performers but choose wisely as they use many different top/back combos on different model LP's

i think randys LP might have had a mahogany top???
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Re: Richwood Lest Paul Custom

Post by rice_pudding »

Stewie wrote: BTW; Did Randy's Les Paul have the same specs as this one?
oh, misread that part :oops:

no the specs on randys LP are completly different than this
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Thanks alot rice pudding :D! I really appreciate it..
And yes, I was looking for a Les Paul model. So I will take a look at this site you gave me :)

Thx alot!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Stewie wrote:Thanks alot rice pudding :D! I really appreciate it..
And yes, I was looking for a Les Paul model. So I will take a look at this site you gave me :)

Thx alot!
no prob,

those vintage guitars have been getting fantastic reviews recently and they seem to be a good price as well. One review said that if the guitar cost twice as much it would still be a fantastic deal. :D

by the way the LP model has a graphite nut and coil tapping :shock: how sweet is that 8)
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I wonder if the picture of: http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/vintagev10 ... 384e91e7fd is correct. It says 'Gold Hardware' but its the same picture of the non-gold one if I'm not mistaking.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

hmmm... the pic of that guitar looks like it has those old fashioned gibson tuners which are white. the rest of the hardware could be chrome or gold? cant really tell from the light. i know the more expensive vintage models are nickel.

best bet check the vintage website, i assume they have one... or check another music retailer and see if the specs differ :? i had a similar problem when getting an epi LP every website gave the same model guitar different specs. in the end the lord only knows what i actualy bought :lol:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

These are fantastic guitars and are 'Elistist' Epiphones.

http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/standardplus.htm

They are Japanese made with USA humbuckers, quality wood and grover tuners.

You can pick them up second hand a similar price to a new 'normal epiphone'
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

The buying of a 2nd hand Elitist Epiphone is a great idea. But where should I find 2nd hand guitars?
I only know 1 guitar shop close to my house, and I doubt they have 2nd hand guitars there. The chances that I would find a Elitist Epiphone there are rather small, so I guess I should search on a special second-hand-guitar-website? Or isn't that a good idea?

I really look forward to having my own Les Paul.. :-)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matthew wrote:These are fantastic guitars and are 'Elistist' Epiphones.

http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/standardplus.htm

They are Japanese made with USA humbuckers, quality wood and grover tuners.

You can pick them up second hand a similar price to a new 'normal epiphone'
never heard of elitist epiphones before, they look good though

considering the improved materials and workmanship these must be just about as good as gibsons :idea:

i hope to get a sheraton one day so im defineatly interested in the elite version 8)
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

They are superb instruments.

Where do you live? In the states they are available in shops. In the UK they are near impossible to find.

You can get them from e bay and last months back pages of readers guitars for sale in Guitarist had an Epiphone elitist Les Paul.

If I remember correctly they were saking £450 for it.

here has them

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lpcustom_elite.htm
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Another recommendation is a Tokai Les Paul.

Tokai are famous for being such high quality copies they were sued by Gibson.

Read here about them

http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/main.htm

Here are some for sale on coda music site (UK)

http://www.coda-music.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_42
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Thanks for the help Matthew.
I live in Belgium and I have a limited budget, thats why I was looking for a cheaper Les Paul model :)
Those Tokai guitars look really good, but I can only afford 1 guitar, and I fell in love with the Les Paul Custom Ebony 8)
I've emailed my local guitar shop, to see what guitars he gots, I can only hope he has the epiphone.. But I doubt it :(

If my budget, around 600€, wasn't that small I woulnd't have these limited options.. So if you find a good second hand, or if anyone of this forum sells one, send me an email :) !
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Stewie wrote: if anyone of this forum sells one, send me an email :) !
Will do
greebo830

RE: Tokai Les Paul

Post by greebo830 »

I noticed your postings about a nice Les Paul. You say you have About 600 to buy your guitar with, Try looking for a british shop In sheffield Called RICHERSOUNDS. they have some fantastic deals on tokai Les Pauls. I've Just Bought a jap Cream Tokai Les PAul Custom, basically A Perfect copy of randy's number one and it only cost 500. hope this helps