Whats your favorite Ibanez guitar?

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

zmack mylde
Cool Member

Whats your favorite Ibanez guitar?

Post by zmack mylde »

What is your favorite from Ibanez and why?
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I'm not really a big fan of Ibanez guitars. I tried a new V they had out and while it was alright, it killed me that it didn't have two volumes and two tones. The tone really suffers without those elements.
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

Skully wrote:I'm not really a big fan of Ibanez guitars. I tried a new V they had out and while it was alright, it killed me that it didn't have two volumes and two tones. The tone really suffers without those elements.

All I know is that Ibanez has the best necks out of all the guitars I tried...i could really shred better on ibanez
Tommy
Cool Member

Post by Tommy »

I had an Ibanez Prestige RG2550 for 4 years. A lot of guitar for the cash, but the neck outgrew me I guess... Or something... I tend to like chunkier necks now, I feel that they fit my hand better, and that I can relax more when playing! Other than that, the Edge Pro is great, and the stock pickups weren't the worst I've heard.
For the low budget ones, they're the same as all other low budget guitars, just OK. Nothing more.
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

I'll tell you the best Ibanez guitar...the one I just tried at a store and I'm saving it to buy the Ibanez SZ520 muilted maple top. I plugged it in the store it sounds amazing. WOW
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

zmack mylde wrote:I'll tell you the best Ibanez guitar...the one I just tried at a store and I'm saving it to buy the Ibanez SZ520 muilted maple top. I plugged it in the store it sounds amazing. WOW
One like this?

I always preferred the Iceman from Ibanez:

But, in all honesty, the "feel" of the neck is so subjective it's impossible to pick a "best" guitar. The neck on my Charvel is the nicest of any guitar I've ever owned, but I still like my Les Paul for it's tone... so how would I say which is "best"?
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
zmack mylde wrote:I'll tell you the best Ibanez guitar...the one I just tried at a store and I'm saving it to buy the Ibanez SZ520 muilted maple top. I plugged it in the store it sounds amazing. WOW
One like this?

I always preferred the Iceman from Ibanez:

But, in all honesty, the "feel" of the neck is so subjective it's impossible to pick a "best" guitar. The neck on my Charvel is the nicest of any guitar I've ever owned, but I still like my Les Paul for it's tone... so how would I say which is "best"?
Yeah thats the SZ520 I'm saving for a Blue Burst one., they are amazing guitars. I like Les Paul but only if I can find one from the old days because they don't make them like they used to.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

"Old Days"? What is different about the older ones than the newer ones aside from the price? I know some prefer the tone of a '58, but that doesn't mean an '06 can't be just as good.
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

Paul Wolfe wrote:"Old Days"? What is different about the older ones than the newer ones aside from the price? I know some prefer the tone of a '58, but that doesn't mean an '06 can't be just as good.

I'm a younger guy so I wasn't around to see the older Les Paul. But my uncle is older and is a guitar conniessuer. He says that the quailty of today's Les paul is not as good as past Les Pauls because of the quality control that goes on with the company today. He says the quality of them in the last ten years has gone down. I believe him because my friend recently bought a new Les Paul and he returned it because the pickups were too muddy, there was a fret that was not sunken in all the way, there was a permanent buzz around the G-string and the frets on the edges were sharp. For a $2000 guitar you wouldn't expect these problems. I love Les pauls but if I was to get one i would search for an older one rather than the one's coming out of the plant today. My uncle says the golden age of Les Paul is over and they pretty much got replaced by PRS....his words not mine.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i like the look of the george benson ibanez... actualy i like the look of all the ibanez archtops. So i better go lock up my wallet :lol:

im also suspicious of newer LP's, ive heard good stuff and bad stuff. But for what they cost i want to be 100% certain im getting what i pay for.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Re: Whats your favorite Ibanez guitar?

Post by siro_angel »

Ibanez RG Prestige

Its my favourite :P It's my old guitar tutor's and i could play like a demon on it cos of the action being low and the floyd rose aswell.. but i also like Steve Vai's Ibanezs!

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Well I can understand your uncle's point of view. Quality control is an issue in almost any industry today. It's a case of American workers just not caring enough anymore...

However, it's also possible that the issues in that one guitar are few and far between. The pickups sounding "muddy" is a matter of taste and the type of pickups used. No two pickups seem to be the same, either, so if he was comparing the sound to another LP then it'd still be different. The fret buzz could be a setup thing that could be fixed fairly easily. THe popped fret and sharp edges aren't cool.

I bought a Les Paul in '06 and their is nothing wrong with the feel or the sound of it. It plays like a dream. The pickup selector needs work, it is either front or back pickup but won't play both at once. Simple solder job I'm sure, but I mainly use the rear pickup anyway, so it's no big deal to me.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
I bought a Les Paul in '06 and their is nothing wrong with the feel or the sound of it. It plays like a dream. The pickup selector needs work, it is either front or back pickup but won't play both at once. Simple solder job I'm sure, but I mainly use the rear pickup anyway, so it's no big deal to me.
I had a westfield les paul that had the same problem turned out my ex lead guitarist in the band i was in ripped out one of the wires which i was pissed off at so i punched into his ibanez iceman.. :P (behind his back of course) and his guitar started to mess up with weird weird noises, unconrtollable feedback and stuff lol.. revenge is sweet :P

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

ive always liked the RG series. as an owner of an RG570 I can honestly say they perform and sound like a dream :)