In need of a luthier

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

BIG_P
Cool Member

In need of a luthier

Post by BIG_P »

Hey guys. I'm going to be sending the old girl in for a fret job but, would like some suggestions on someone who does a good job at a reasonable price. I also need it set up better (truss rod adjust, nut shaped). Please let me hear your guys suggestions it's much appreciated.
[img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/3465/banner2xt.jpg[/img]
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

your not in the UK so i cant help you out :(
im getting my guitar seviced in the next month or so too, luckily i know a good local guy with very good pricing. I hope you get things sorted without any hassle... i've heard some real horror stories in the past.

i think i remember a website once which listed luthiers in the UK and North America. It had links to their websites and contact info... its not the best place for finding out who's good but it gives you an insight into what they're like and pricing. i'll try to dig it up.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Re: In need of a luthier

Post by frank »

can't help you in michigan. what are you getting re-worked anyway?
Last edited by frank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG_P
Cool Member

Re: In need of a luthier

Post by BIG_P »

frank wrote:
BIG_P wrote:Hey guys. I'm going to be sending the old girl in for a fret job but, would like some suggestions on someone who does a good job at a reasonable price. I also need it set up better (truss rod adjust, nut shaped). Please let me hear your guys suggestions it's much appreciated.
can't help you in michigan. what are you getting re-worked anyway?
Re-fretted and a good setup job. The frets are finally getting to the point of no return. Getting a bit of a buzzing sound now. I just set the neck and that helped a little but, she will be getting a fret job soon. God I love that old girl. As I've said my LP to me is like Randy's LP was to him like SRV's #1 was to him in return. :wink:
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

i've heard getting a fret job is a bit more involved if there's binding.
Last edited by frank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

frank wrote:i've heard getting a fret job is a bit more involved if there's binding.
It just means the frets have to be pulled straight up and pressed straight in, as opposed to sliding them in and out through the side, right?
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
frank wrote:i've heard getting a fret job is a bit more involved if there's binding.
It just means the frets have to be pulled straight up and pressed straight in, as opposed to sliding them in and out through the side, right?
That's correct but, the costly part is that the edge of the wire is behind the binding as opposed to there being no binding. This involves articulate sculpting of the fret wire edges to finish the job right. In lamans terms......A PAIN IN THE ASS!! :lol: