vintage guitars

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

vintage guitars

Post by rice_pudding »

i was just wondering does anyone know of any brands other than gibson and fender that accumulate in value over time?
Im guessing gretch and martin do but im not sure

also can it be expected that current (new) gibsons/fenders will also gain value as the years roll by?

p.s. im interested in vintage guitars but just dont know much about the market place of such :?
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

I imagine they will gain value eventually down the road.....As long as you stick to american made and not mexican/japaneses/Indonesian....
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I found this article to be interesting. Here is another. And one more.

Personally I am not a fan of the "vintage guitar market" because I feel an instrument was made to be played. The guitars today are equal to the guitars of yesteryears and are actually better in a lot of ways. Korean, Mexican, Japanese guitars are often equal or superior to "American Made" axes, but get less respect because they don't say Gibson or Fender.

I will always return to the argument that EVH made his mark with a guitar that cost a few hundred bucks and was made from spare parts. Of course, now he sells copies of that guitar for $30,000 because there are suckers willing to pay it.

As for questioning whether today's guitars will appreciate in value? I doubt it, because in 20 years there probably won't be a market for them. 30 years ago there wasn't much of a "vintage guitar market", it's a trend we are living through right now, in my opinion.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i agree with what your saying rocky. its always a shame that an instrument is bought and then locked up as a family heirloom or something.

i agree with you about the "american made" thing as well there are some great guitars popping out of asian factorys at the moment such as the jackson rr5 and this thing
http://www.abcsounds.co.uk/washburn-ele ... 66-pro.htm
people always question the workmanship but there cant be a huge difference. the way i see it i judge a guitar by how it feels and sounds not by its brand.

it just confuses me that the powers that be have decided certain brands gain value and others dont. does it all come down to made in america?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rice_pudding wrote:does it all come down to made in america?
It does seem that way... although Vai is making quite a case for Ibanez these days.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

instruments are made to be played. it's criminal if they're not.
Last edited by frank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

frank wrote:instruments are made to be played. it's criminal if they're not.
Someone wise told you that, didn't they?
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

yes HE did.
Last edited by frank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

frank wrote:yes HE did.
:wink:
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

He was a very cool guy! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I think the quality control on guitars now is fantastic.

There will probably be some axes that are only bought out now for a limited time today (think the guitar of the month campaign form Gibson), get rave reviews and then are pulled that will become collectable.

I don't have a collectors brain..I am just obsessed with sound and nothing else...so I can't help there.

As for the Asian vs USA argument on mass produced instruments. From my experience the quality of Japanese Guitars I would say has been slightly a cut above USA models on the whole.

I went out three times to buy a fender USA Tele, Jag and a Strat and was knocked out enough to choose Fender Japan all three times. These aren't isoloated cases either. I have played literally hundreds fo different examples of both countries from teaching the guitar and 'trying out' sessions and I suppose my opinion as generalised one has formed based on this.
Recently when shopping for a Gretsch (I assumed the high end models were USA made) I was surprised just before paying that it too was made in Japan and it's construction is second to none!

Don't get me wrong the 4 Gibsons in our collection are equals and amazing instruments too...I just respect Japanese craftmanship...and the quality of Koreon guitars...wow..on the up or what?!!...a discussion for another post

Cheers

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

quality control could warrant a whole thread as you rightly point out. i personaly feel that japanese quality is easily on par with american. and i also think that korean quality is not far behind. If you take the time to try out lots of different guitars you ought to find a gem no matter where its made.

take my epiphen LP for example. It has a couple of blemishes on the finnish and some of the hardware could have been stuck on a bit more neatly, but at the end of the day i love how it plays and i like its tone. it could just be that out of the thousands of LP's made in Korea mine was lucky enough to be endowed with a slightly better plank of wood, who knows.

i think the only thing american construction will offer in reality is a neater finnish and arguably better quality wood.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Rice

One of my favourite Guitars is an Epiphone Sheraton 2. It has Gibson Classic 57's added and I swapped the Grovers to my Les Paul so it also has added Gibson Deluxe tuners.

It plays like a dream 8)
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i like the look of sheratons i think i might buy one in the future. they're an original epiphone design aren't they (as oposed to cheaper version of a gibson)?

on a side not i recently read an article in which its been suggested that fitting an epi LP with better pickups can possibly get you 90% of the tone of a gibson!
*i think the article was in guitar world
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Well i have a 26 year old Hondo II and it plays like a dream when it comes to playing some experimental, accoustic style and blues stuff :)

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."