Rockman

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Rockman

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I am trying to convince my wife to buy me a Rockman for my birthday. I thought it'd be nice to be able to hear my guitar once in a while (I rarely use my amp because I live in an apartment). I've read reviews that they aren't what they used to be... does anyone have one of the new(er) ROckman's since Dunlop took over the production of them?

The Flying Dutchman

Re: Rockman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

RockyRhoads wrote:I've read reviews that they aren't what they used to be...
For the MXR distortion+ that's true....... The original distortion+ had germanium diodes instead of the cheaper more common silicon ones that are used in the new "reissue" pedals. The germanium diodes are supposed to sound a lot warmer.
It could be very well that this is the case with the Rockman as well. It's made now by the same manufacturer.......
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Paul,
I use a smokey amp when i'm not going through my full amps. They are cheap, really nice and come in a fag packet for a bit of novelty :lol:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

skezza wrote:Paul,
I use a smokey amp when i'm not going through my full amps. They are cheap, really nice and come in a fag packet for a bit of novelty :lol:
You Brits :D Y'know a "fag packet" would be just a wee bit different here in the States :lol:

Actually the wife got on eBay last night and bought this:

The description says:

Rockman Ultralight by Tom Scholz of Boston. Comes with Rockadaptor!! Has belt clip and Gain control on back! Chorus model NO DELAY!! This unit works great. Some minor scratches. Was lost in a moving box, but kept inside so was not out in the weather!! This works for guitar or Keyboard. I hooked this up to my Yamaha So3 and S90es.. WOW! Sounds unreal!!
Since I've got a delay on my effects pedal board, I don't need it in the Rockman... it was listed for 5 days and no one bid. The other Rockman's listed were getting multiple bids and going for over $100. So I'm pleased with the result, a Scholz Rockman for less than the cost of a Dunlop.

Joe, I Googled your "fag packet" (wow, that just sounds SO wrong!) amp and found this:

At $33.95, I wish I'd known about this before the wife got the Rockman... oh well, I may have to get one anyway, just for fun. They say you can send your own box, so maybe I can tribute Randy by using a Winston box. Or you can have them send you a blank box to add your own personal artwork to for a custom design... I like this place.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Got the Rockman today. It sounds excellent. The switches are noisy due to age, but a little spray should rectify that. The only thing I'd like better is if the guy had sent the battery compartment door. The "Rockadaptor" power supply fits in the place of of the batteries, so if I remove the adaptor, I can't use it, because there is no door for the batteries to stay in.
Jake_E_Lee
Cool Member

Post by Jake_E_Lee »

im sure you could improvise a battery compartment door with some sticky tape 8). Those smokey amps are more popular than you think Paul in the States. In fact, i think they are made in the USA, there not even popular over in the UK, so im not sure how Joe has one haha!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Jake_E_Lee wrote:im sure you could improvise a battery compartment door with some sticky tape 8). Those smokey amps are more popular than you think Paul in the States. In fact, i think they are made in the USA, there not even popular over in the UK, so im not sure how Joe has one haha!
The thing is, I need to have the actual battery door because ti completes the electrical connection so it'll work with batteries... I emailed the guy and he's looking for it.

I checked out the Smokey amp and it's made in Arizona. I'm thinking of getting the box blank to make a personalized amp. I thought I'd have my 2-year-old son decorate it to make it truly unique.

I was also thinking of using a Winston box since Randy smoked winstons...

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So I did end up getting the Rockman Ultralight on eBay a while back. After a little electronic cleaner on the switches, it is wonderful. The only complaint I had was that it came with a Rockadapter so it could be plugged into an AC outlet - but it had no battery door cover so it could be used with batteries!

Since these are no longer made by Scholz, I figured that getting a replacement door would be impossible... then through the magic of google, I came across a message board for Rockman users and they directed me here and for a measley $12, Rick Leavenworth took care of me.

I just wanted to give them a plug since they were so helpful for me. Check out their site, they have a lot to offer.
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

I have a Scholz Rockman Guitar Ace. Bought it new in the 80's. Haven't used it in many years. Wasn't impressed with the sounds. Has 3 sounds : Clean...Slightly distorted, and.... BOSTON! :lol: nothing in between. Also is NOISY as HELL, when in Boston mode. I tried modding it to soften up the insane Boston style gain...to no avail. I'm an electronics professional, so the mod attempt was not invasive. I returned it to stock specs. Although there is a smal hole on either side where I had a trim pot located.

It still works great if anyone wants to buy it from me....CHEAP. I don't have the power adapter (never bought it), but it's complete with the battery door and belt clip.

PM me if interested.

Dean

Oh yeah...for great vintage (germanium diode) MXR Distortion + mayhem in a modern pedal, check out my Cat's-Eye Mutha' Fuzz. It's based on the 70's Dist. +, has germanium diodes, and is an awesome pedal...As used by Jake E. Lee, Mike Varney, Joe Becker, Tracii Guns, Jon Levin (Dokken), John 5, Marc Ford (Black Crowes) and many others. :)
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i've been thinking about getting one of those "fag packets" for a while now, but i've always ended up spending my money on something else.

i have one of those mini marshal amps and they're pretty good but a little expensive.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

rice_pudding wrote:i've been thinking about getting one of those "fag packets" for a while now, but i've always ended up spending my money on something else.

i have one of those mini marshal amps and they're pretty good but a little expensive.
I would seriously recommend getting a smokey. It works as a fuzz box while hooked up to an amp and can power a 4x12 cab (ON ITS OWN) and it gives a pretty nice sound. you have to see it to believe it really.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

skezza wrote:
rice_pudding wrote:i've been thinking about getting one of those "fag packets" for a while now, but i've always ended up spending my money on something else.

I would seriously recommend getting a smokey. It works as a fuzz box while hooked up to an amp and can power a 4x12 cab (ON ITS OWN) and it gives a pretty nice sound. you have to see it to believe it really.
how the hell can it power a 4x12 cab on its own!!!!!!
the only thing i wonder about them is are they built well? being made out of a cigy box i'd presume they'd fall apart although i take it that is not the case.

i'll probably get one in the future, i can wait till x-mas or something :lol: