Building Your Own Guitar

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: Building Your Own Guitar

Post by sytharnia »

Whipper wrote: These are really cool! How did you do the snakeskin body?
oh just saw this post :lol:

basically I just used ado's contact glue onto both surfaces, put skin on then "rubbed" it until it stopped bubbling (took around 15mins) then repeated for back and edges....was very easy to do, just took a bit of patience......this is tolex.....I would love to do real snakeskin but the hassles to import here don't really make it cost effective
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I'm not big on snakeskin, but can you colour it?

It has a great texture, if you could give it a colourful finish, like a PRS maple top, I would be all there!

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I recall reading that Warren Di Martini didn't care for his snakeskin guitar sound-wise because the skin deadened the resonance of the wood...

Do you find that to be an issue?
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I recall reading that Warren Di Martini didn't care for his snakeskin guitar sound-wise because the skin deadened the resonance of the wood...

But painting a guitar that gets a coating that's basically fiberglass to fill grain, then a coating that goes over it for color and shine that is basically plastic... Then after that adding this is going to effect tone that much?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Just something I read ages ago... can't recall where and couldn't find info online other than Warren didn't like the feel' of the first snakeskin guitar because a finish had been put on over the skin... maybe that caused the tone difference?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here is a nifty little project to keep your tube amp from overheating...
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Just something I read ages ago... can't recall where and couldn't find info online other than Warren didn't like the feel' of the first snakeskin guitar because a finish had been put on over the skin... maybe that caused the tone difference?
I would have thought that would definitely have an impact. I am a firm believer that different finishes don't alter tone, rather the manner in which they are applied, and thickness etc. is important.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

rice_pudding wrote:I'm not big on snakeskin, but can you colour it?

It has a great texture, if you could give it a colourful finish, like a PRS maple top, I would be all there!

Rob
this is the one in the second photo above....I have stained it with wood stain and lacquered over the top, worked very well

Paul Wolfe wrote:I recall reading that Warren Di Martini didn't care for his snakeskin guitar sound-wise because the skin deadened the resonance of the wood...

I haven't had an issue with it deadening the sound, in fact its done almost the opposite....the guitars seem "alive" compared to my other guitars. Everyone who play it says the same thing....its just an awesome guitar that sounds amazing

that was the first ones they tried when they applied the skin to a primed body...then they just clued it straight onto the wood and it was fine...heres a scan of him talking a little about it
img002.jpg
also heres a scan of him talking about the zappa guitar
zappa002.jpg
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That definitely sounds like what I remember reading... thanks for posting it.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've been reading the 'Paint Your Own Guitar' book and really want to take a shot at re-painting my no-name Flying V copy... it's white with a black pickguard, and I think I've found a paint job to inspire a cool V paint job (didn't want to simply copy Schenker's V).

The first picture is my V and the second is the paint job I'd like to emulate.
Attachments
154896_1704744462941_1367890697_31818835_6495230_n.jpg
guitar 4.JPG
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I've been reading the 'Paint Your Own Guitar' book and really want to take a shot at re-painting my no-name Flying V copy... it's white with a black pickguard, and I think I've found a paint job to inspire a cool V paint job (didn't want to simply copy Schenker's V).

The first picture is my V and the second is the paint job I'd like to emulate.
I think that would look really cool on a V
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, so I went out and bought a cheap Strat at the pawn shop so I have something to dick around on while I refinish the V (of course I could simply work on my bass playing :wink: as I just began a 6 month online course on Funk Rock Bass today)...

In addition to refinishing the guitar, I'd like to relocate the jack to the underside of the upper wing ala Randy's V. Stew Mac used to sell routing templates for the Start style jack, but I couldn't find it on their website.

Anyone know where to get a Strat jack routing template?

When the V is done I'll refinish the Strat... I'm thinking of a Captain America shield motif with the sides and back in black for the Strat.

Something like this which they sell the masking template for here

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

For the record I tore down the V today... The last pic is of the Squier Strat for dicking around while the paint dries :D
Attachments
158.JPG
157.JPG
155.JPG
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

Variation on a BC RICH theme.

Basically a Mockingbird style body with a reverse lower wing.
I have a kill-switch a-la "Buckethead" and its st up identical to Nuno Bettencourts guitar. SIngle volume, no-tone control and a pick up selector. I just added the kill switch cause I love the affect.

The neck is thick and rounded, identical to a Telecaster.
Attachments
MY Guitar.jpg
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I like it... I was thinking about a kill switch for the V