Clean vs. Dirty

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

NOTE: Alex Lifeson used a Gallien Krueger 250ML when they first hit the scene in the mid eighties and now he is using Hughes and Kettner's.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Matthew wrote:I used to have to use my Boss EQ, MD ii Distortion pedal and constantly mess around.

Since we got the JSX Head it has put those 2 out of business for good. 8)

Matt
That's good because boss pedals aren't meant for much more than industrial music.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

LordThurisaz wrote:
Matthew wrote:I used to have to use my Boss EQ, MD ii Distortion pedal and constantly mess around.

Matt
That's good because boss pedals aren't meant for much more than industrial music.
i don't think that's what Jake E Lee thought 8) :P
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Stiltzkin wrote:
LordThurisaz wrote:

Matt
i don't think that's what Jake E Lee thought 8) :P
Hmmm, I forgot about that. Didn't he use the japanese Boss' and not the cheap ones made today? Also, if you get them modded, they are ok, but the price is insane compared to buying a stock pedal which is good right out of the box, like Rocktron (though they sound MUCH better with tube amps than ss amps.)
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i've never used boss simply because i dont want to get the same sound as everyone else :lol: At the moment i'm thinking of investing in a Ibanez Tubescreamer ts808 reissue. Dont sound quite like the original but sound good so yeah...

By the way is the MXR GT overdrive just MXR ripping off a tubescreamer??? they seem very similar :?

EDIT:a tubescreamer probably will make me sound like everyone else :lol: Oh well...
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

rice_pudding wrote:By the way is the MXR GT overdrive just MXR ripping off a tubescreamer??? they seem very similar :?
Never tried a ts808 but I have a Ibanez TS-9 laying around here. The mxr GT-OD is more powerful (output and distortion) and still more transparant either. (not that TS9 mid bump) The GT sounds a lot heavier too and is an excellent pedal!
For slamming a Superlead I prefer the ZW overdrive though because it´s crispy sound blends very well with it. The GT is a bit darker sounding, heavier and sounds really different. Overall I would go with the GT-OD since it already sounds great on it's own too (more output, lots of drive, heavier but still very transparant), so it's more versatile.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

LordThurisaz wrote:

Matt
Fool :D
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

almost everybody used a BOSS pedal in the 80's too 8)
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Weird, the only pedal I ever use is my vintage Thomas Organ Crybaby, and I use it maybe once a year. I guess I come from the Eddie Van Halen approach to the signal, if you aren't getting it from the amp, find another amp.. LOL I can see using a distortion pedal in a practice situation but not for my live signal chain. My Zoom G2.1u is my current rig's preamp so I suppose you could consider it a pedalboard but before my current set up I was using a Randall RG100es and in the F/X loop I ran a Rockman active EQ and the Rockman stereo chorus always in the signal chain and guitar straight into the amp sometimes with the wah. I hate the way 99% of all pedals alter the guitars natural tone and I even had to install a true bypass on my wah because of it.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Matthew wrote:
LordThurisaz wrote:

Matt
Fool :D
Matthew, joking or not, I'm not a fool. You had to use an MD2 and an EQ just to get it to sound good (the pedal alone has this nasty plasticy frequency somewhere that's a pain to dial out without the EQ), and you can generally find stuff way better, particularly because they make it in china or indonesia or something like that now.
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I will pm
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt